Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fun With Eggs

My goodness I've been remiss with posting! We're getting to the halfway point of December and I haven't made a single post this month. I am sorry for that.

Well, I suppose it's because I haven't been making new recipes lately. I just haven't had the creative juices flowing. I'm too busy working on holiday stuff.

There is one other reason I haven't been creating new recipes. My husband wants me to start in on a new project. He is obsessed with his new camera. He wants to do more wildlife photography, but he also wants to help boost my food photography. He thinks we should do a project together and self-publish a cookbook using Blurb for us and our family. I write the recipes, and he takes the picture. He's even looking at light boxes.

The idea of making a book of my best recipes means I'm going back and re-doing old ones rather than making new ones. I want to make sure they are the best they can be and all measurements and cooking times are correct. This week alone I made both my chipotle chicken tacos and my chicken in tarragon-mustard cream sauce. I need to perfect them and make sure I have all of the details of the recipes correct.

Anyway, with my blog being so stangnant I really feel like I have to make something new. On a Friday night, I want it simple, so it's time to do something with one of husband's favorite things - eggs.

I came late to the Julie and Julia party. Never read the blog. Never saw the movie. The movie had mixed reviews and I almost never go to movies anyway (no time to go out to a theater). I never remember to put anything on the Netflix queue, so I haven't gotten around to it on DVD.

A few weeks ago my mother finished reading the book and handed her copy off to me. I really should give it a try, she told me. Fine. I might as well see what the fuss was about.

When I reached the chapter about egg poaching, I found myself very drawn to the idea of eggs poached in wine. I am not good at poaching eggs (some people have the knack and some don't) and Powell seemed to go through more failures with her eggs than successes, so it really didn't seem like something I should try. Still, I found myself really wanting to try it.

I couldn't follow Julia's recipe of course. My mother has a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, so I could have used that recipe if I wanted to, but I wasn't going to. Julia and Julie poached their eggs in red wine. Sir Pickypants says all red wine, "tastes like furniture polish". This was going to be an egg dish of my own invention.

Am I a little obsessed with mushrooms and shallots? Probably. Makes me think I shouldn't publish a cookbook even for my own use because I never seem to stray from certain ingredients. This is like classic Short (dis)Order Cook accompaniments. "Saute mushrooms and shallots and add cream. "
Egg in wine. Can I really do this? They may not look pretty, but they're holding some semblance of shape.

Fry some bread squares in a little butter. I never said this dish was low fat.

Mix the reduced wine with mushroom cream mixture, eggs on bread, musrhoom sauce on eggs. All in all, not bad. In fact, it was a really good dish. The eggs poached very nicely in the wine and the overall dish was quite tasty.

Eggs Poached in White Wine

4 eggs
2 cups of white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
4 shallots, finely diced
Salt
1 tsp white pepper
4 Tbl butter
2 Tbl olive oil
4 slices of hearty bread

Heat 2 Tbl of butter and 1 Tbl of olive oil in a pan. Add shallots and cook until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and cook till all is soft and they give off their juices. Sprinkle with a little salt.

In another pan, melt the last 2 Tbl of butter and remaining Tbl of oil and gently fry the bread slices until browned. Keep warm. (I put them in the oven at 200 degrees.

Bring 2 cups of wine to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and gently slide the eggs into the wine. When they are set removed with a slotted spoon.

Bring wine back to a boil and allow to reduce by half. Stir in the cream and the mushrooms.

Place eggs on top of bread slices and top with the mushroom cream sauce.

4 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I loved the movie, but have yet to make any Julia recipes besides Clafouti.

Melissa said...

Well kudos for trying it! I have yet to do a poached egg. And your accompaniments for this, whether they are usual or not, really fit.

I love the idea of you guys doing a project like that because that is exactly what I have been pushing for me and Steve to do. He photographs, I cook, and we both do something we're good at.

Great to see you post!

The Blonde Duck said...

Kudos for trying it!

You should watch the movie, just for the Meryl (Julia) part. She is fabulous.

Emily said...

Ooooh I'm excited about your cookbook! I want a copy. You have to sign it for me.

This dish sounds wonderful. So very French. I LOVE mushrooms, shallots and cream together.