Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Post Christmas Eats

In case you were wondering what happened to Christmas Part 2, well, there wasn't much to tell. Kevin and I hopped the train to NYC, met Dad at his place, opened some gifts, and headed out to dinner. We both forgot our cameras. Although the company was great, the food was kind of so-so. We went to Istana at the NY Palace Hotel. This is the hotel that once housed the famous, but now defunct, Le Cirque. It currently houses a Michelin-starred restaurant, but Istana isn't it. Istana sits in the middle of the lobby (although it's a lovely lobby). I ate a pasta dish I could have made myself at home. Service was great. Drinks were expensive (they had a wine that was $28 for a GLASS). Dessert was nicely chocolatey. I think if I liked fish I would have been more impressed with my dinner since the black cod that my husband ate seemed to have way more of the chef's imagination behind it than my pasta.

Anyway, we've now fallen into that dead zone between Christmas and New Year's Eve, so not much is going on food wise for me. We're spending a three-day weekend in NJ, in an area close to our hearts. We have reservations at a Bed & Breakfast. We are having New Year's Eve at the home of a good friend who lives nearby. We hope that on Saturday night we can have dinner at our beloved Iron Forge Inn.

So with all of that planned for the weekend, I just want to keep it simple and perhaps make something I can eat for all three nights I'll be home this week.

Chili would do that job nicely!

I made mine with turkey, pinto beans, and poblano peppers with a touch of chipotle. It's not a particularly interesting chili. I have no special familiy recipe. I just put together a few things I thought would be good in a pot of chili.



I made a little cornbread to go with it too. I'm sorry for the lack of color. I really need to get over my obsession with pinto beans. They made for a very beige chili. I just like them better than kidney beans.

Just so you know, I always like to bake a little something for the NYE party, even though I don't have to. This year I'm making Emily's Cinnamon Hazelnut Brownies. Emily is gaining celebrity status in my family. I make so many of her recipes that I no longer have to explain where I get my recipes from. I just say, "It's one of Emily's recipes," and everyone understands. Most of all when I say it, everyone is happy because everyone else loves Emily's recipes now too.

Weeknight Chili

Ingredients

1.5 pounds ground turkey
1 large onion, diced
2 poblano peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp chipotle powder
Salt to taste
1 cup chicken stock (optional)

Cook onions in a little olive oil (or use a more neutral flavored oil if you prefer). Add chopped peppers and garlic and cook until onions are transparent and everything is soft. Add turkey, breaking up as you cook it, until no longer pink.

Add tomatoes, beans, and chipotle powder to the pot. Season with salt to taste. Cook for about two hours, or until the flavors have fully developed and mellowed to your liking.

If you feel too much liquid has evaporated, feel free to add some chicken stock to the pot.

3 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

Have a safe and foodie-inspired New years...chili would definitely hit the spot if today was not pasta day...although this would be fantastic on pasta too:D

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like you have great holiday fun planned. I hope you have a blast. Happy New Year to you!

Emily said...

Awww that's sweet. I'd love to meet your family.

This chili looks great! So comforting. I love white chili with cornbread.