Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

"Buffalo" Roasted Chicken

If you read this blog regularly, you know how much I love roast chicken. To me it's one of the best comfort foods out there. I have waxed poetic on the subject a few times. There are few things that make the house smell better than a chicken roasting.

While I was away this weekend, I came back to my B&B room from a day of riding to smell a chicken in the oven. The owners were cooking their dinner and it smelled goooooodddd. I've had a craving ever since then.

Do you know what my favorite party snack is? I think Buffalo wings defintely rank up there pretty high. They're a little greasy, a little salty, a little spicy, and a little meaty. They're messy fun to eat. So much goodness is packed into one little bony piece. If I didn't fear for my waistline and my cardiovascular system, I'd eat hot wings every day.

I wanted to satisfy my roasted chicken craving, but I also wanted a new recipe for 2010. I needed something new for the blog. How could I put a spin on roast chicken that I could share with TERP readers?

I remembered my love of Buffalo wings. Why not make an entire chicken "Buffalo" style?

Rather than douse an entire chicken in Tabasco, Frank's, or Sriracha, I decided to make things harder on myself, they way I always do. ;-) My recipe is a bit closer to a spicy, split-roasted chicken I made last year, Pollo Al Diavolo.

I started by letting some dried red peppers flavor some olive oil. I let the crushed peppers, seeds and all, sit in the olive oil all day.



When I was ready to roast, I mixed it with cider vinegar and a touch of parprika. The whole thing was brushed over a split chicken.



The results wasn't exactly Buffalo style, but had a nice bite to it. I served it with some cauliflower puree and cucumber slices (not shown). It's roasted chicken. Hard to go wrong with that. The next time I make this, I will probably steep the peppers in the olive oil longer. I put them into the olive oil in the morning before I left for work. I should have put them in the night before.



Spicy Roasted Chicken

1 Chicken (roughly 3 pounds)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 dried hot peppers, crushed
1 Tbl cider vinegar
1/2 tsp parprika
Salt

Place crushed peppers and olive oil into a container with a tight-fitting lid. Allow to sit at least 8 hours. Over night would be better.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut backbone out of chicken and press to flatten. Mix the chili oil with the vinegar and paprika. Rub this mixture all over the chicken (You can strain out the seeds if you like). Sprinkle with salt.

Roast for about an hour.

13 comments:

Sue said...

How could you go wrong with that recipe? Yum. I just made a sort of paprika chicken. The two go together so well.

Donna-FFW said...

Im amazed at the way you come up with your own concoctions. Such creativity. It sounds like it packed a nice flavor punch!

Bellini Valli said...

It sounds like a real tribute to the chicken wing!!!

noble pig said...

My hubby would love the heat! Very nice.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've been wanting to make a roast chicken for ages, but I'm scared...

Lo said...

Oh, gosh. I'm totally there with you on the roasted chicken. Can't think of much that's better... unless it's a roasted chicken with some serious kick! Well done, my fellow chile-head :)

Of course, now you have me thinking about coming up with my own buffalo-breath chicken!.. which is good, cuz I'm off to a slow start this new year.

The Duo Dishes said...

Spicy! Roasted chicken is the way to go. It's just over an hour before you have tender, tasty meat ready to go. Bet you could make a nice chicken salad with the leftovers.

Dee said...

A very happy new year!
I LOVE roast chicken and this is just fabulous! By hot peppers, do you mean habaneros?

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

So great to see so many positive responses to this.

Donna - *blush* Thanks. Gotta keep things interesting.

Lo - You crack me up. Buffalo-breath chicken? Chile-head! It seems we're both chicken heads too!

Dee - Thanks. I used the little red dried chili peppers. I don't think my husband could handle habaneros!

CookiePie said...

Oh yum - that looks fantastic!

Adam said...

Buffalo chicken is gonna be a beautiful thing come this football season... I might have to swing this for a party :)

And I love how you make things tough on yourself. It builds character, like Franks Red Hot fights :)

Emily said...

Oh man, this sounds so good! I would love this chicken. I love spicy food.

Sook said...

Wow what a delightful recipe! Full of great spices i love!