Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lazy Sunday Cooking

Before I start the cooking part of this post, I will give everyone a reminder about the sausage photo controvery. A while back, I posted a recipe using a sausage I bought at the farmer's market. It was a beautiful and tasty Italian sausage made from free-range pork. I was so in love with the sausage, I took a photo of it.

Apparently, not everyone thinks photos of fresh, free-range sausages are beautiful. My husband was horrified. He wanted to give my blog URL to his foodie coworker, but he wouldn't do it until I posted a new entry so his coworker wouldn't have to look at the disgusting sausage picture. He said it looked like someone's science experiment. He said it looked like intestines. Well, they are intestines! A few readers shared his disgust, so I am a bit hesitant to post photos of sausage these days. At least the ones in my last post were cooked!

Anyway, I hate being stuck at home on weekends. Unfortunately, I have a mysterious injury in my knee. I walked into the gym Friday morning - I hadn't even worked out yet - I just walked in there - and a pain seized my knee and wouldn't let up. Riding was not possible in this kind of pain, and when it's 19 degrees outside, you don't want to head to the barn just to sit around. I miss my girls a whole bunch, but I'm not that crazy.

When you're home all day, you do manage to take advantage of what's on TV. There was a time when home all day meant the Food Network. For me it still could. I may live in NY, but I have FIOS, so I haven't lost the Food Network. I've found something way better.

Yesterday I turned on the TV and saw that a cooking show was on. The host was explaining very carefully and professionally how to cut the spine out of a chicken. I didn't recognize her. Then I realized I wasn't watching Food Network. I was watching PBS. It's not as if I didn't know PBS had great food shows. I do watch Lidia when I can. I guess I just so automatically turn to FN, no matter how much I complain about it, that I just don't always think of PBS. These are some superior cooking shows! I need to watch them more. They are actually about COOKING and not about the hosts' hair/breasts/sunshiny personalities.

Anyway, when I'm home I can cook more. Cooking on weekends is a rare thing for me. I'm usually at the barn all day and by the time I get home, cooking is the last thing on my mind. We either eat leftovers from weeknight meals or go out. I had a lazy Sunday to make both lunch and dinner.

However, as it's a lazy Sunday, the recipes are neither complex, nor are they going to be actual recipes.

My lunch was roasted cauliflower soup.

Begin by roasting some farmer's market. (Winter farmer's market opened this weekend. Yay!) Forty minutes at 400 degrees should do the trick. Time may depend on how small you cut your florets. I left mine big. Smaller ones need less time - Duh!

Next 2 small farmer's market onions are softened in 2 tablespoons of butter. After they are soft, in goes 4 cloves of minced garlic.

Cauliflower goes into the pot with a quart of homemade stock I defrosted. Simmer about 20 minutes or until cauliflower falls apart when you stir it.

Add in about a half a pound of cheddar cheese. I grated this one myself! So I am not always lazy. This was some good cheddar. Blend with stick blender till smooth. You could also whiz batches of it in the food processor.

Season with salt and pepper and a little paprika and serve.

For dinner we had individual frittate.

I mixed 8 eggs with salt, pepper, and some chopped tarragon. I know it's not traditional, but I also added a splash of cream milk.

Add special ingredients. Pour into greased muffin cups.

Shredded cheese and bacon for me.

Sir Pickypants got a treat. Peas!

Bake at 400 degrees until firm all the way through and brown on top, about 20 minutes.

Serve over mixed greens.

10 comments:

Katina Bradley said...

I really like your blog and became a follower. I just started my own, if you like it become a follower.
http://katinabradleylifemyway.blogspot.com/

noble pig said...

I am laughing so hard, you have no idea. The soup, oh yeah baby!!

Lo said...

Oh, gosh. I almost fell off of my chair, woman.

I concur with you on the Food Network :) PBS is my friend. And Roasted cauliflower is THE best.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love lazy Sunday cooking!

Donna-FFW said...

I must check out PBS now that you say that. The other day they had americas test kitchen on and I enjoyed it. He's certainly no Tyler Florence type to look at, but great recipes, indeed..

Talita said...

Yumm! I like cauliflower. Delicious dish.

The Blonde Duck said...

Yea. We found out after we got up to the main resort house that the owner's son had the ostriches knock him down a month before and tore his stomach open with their claws.

Stupid ostriches.

Maria said...

Everything looks fabulous!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Katina - Thanks for stopping by and for becoming a follower. I'm so flattered when people do that! I've checked out your blog. I wanted to comment on it, but you seem to have some comment issues (hitting the post comment button only returns you to the bottom of the post).

Cathy and Lo - I'm so happy when people find me funny.

And Lo, glad you agree on both counts.

Donna - Yeah. You won't get eye candy on PBS, and Lidia Bastianich reminds me a bit of my high school Italian teacher, and thus strikes a certain fear in my heart, but still some good food shows going donw.

Talita - Thanks and thanks for dropping by.

Maria - Thanks to you too!

rebekka said...

Oh my...yess!