Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mushroom Ragout

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of dining at my most favoritefavoritefavorite restaurant in the world, The Iron Forge Inn. I didn't go in there with a camera and write a blog about it, as I have written three blogs about my dinners there already. I will tell you about a dish I had there though.

My appetizer that night was a white truffle custard sitting in a pool of tomato-mushroom ragout. It was undeniably tasty and gave a wonderful combination of flavor and texture.

I started thinking about a mushroom ragout of my own. It would be a fun thing to make on a cold winter's night. The question was what I would serve it with. Truffle custards are a little beyond my budget. I needed something a bit simpler.

The answer? Sausages! (The controversy about sausage photos goes on...)



I started by browning my sausages in the pot. Then I removed them and added my ragout ingredients. I used campari tomatoes, red wine, mushrooms (cremini in my case, although people who love mushrooms more than I do might want to have a variety) onion, garlic, thyme, and a bay leaf.



Note my new toy. The saute pan was a Christmas gift from the Hubster.

I can't even begin to tell you how good this smelled. It was magic, magic I tell you!

Pretty and hearty and comforting. The mushrooms, tomato and sausages worked well together. This dish was awesome. It exceeded my expectations for deliciousness. I almost think it was better than the Iron Forge Inn's. Almost.



As for Sir Pickypants, I made him some trout fillets. I put the fillets on a bed of herbs and rubbed them with some olive oil and cooked them in a foil pouch at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. He got the mushroom ragout sans sausages on the side. He even thought the mushroom ragout was awesome.



Sausages in Tomato-Mushroom Ragout

1 lb Italian sweet pork sausage
2 lb Campari tomates, halved
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups mushrooms of your choice, sliced
1 cup red wine
1 Tbl fresh thyme
2 Bay leaves
Olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Heat a little olive oil in a pan and brown the sausages on the outside. Remove from pan.

Add another tablespoon or so of olive oil to the pan and add the onions. Cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.

Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft. Once they are soft, stir in the tomatoes, wine, thyme, and bay leaves. Gently place the sausages back into the pan.

Simmer for at least 30 minutes or until the liquid is well-reduced and the sausages are cooked through.

Taste at the end to see if you want to add any salt. I found this dish really didn't need it, but everyone's taste is different.

14 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

This looks fabulous, Rachel! It's the perfect dish for these bone-chilling days we've been having. Well done!

Donna-FFW said...

controversy about the sausage photos.. am I missing out on something? do tell.

Love the dish you created, something I could eat anynight of the week, and no not because of the sausage. I adore campari tomatoes, so pricey aren't they?

Emily said...

Look at that sausage. Sausughh.
Looks amazing!

Bellini Valli said...

Sir Sticky doesn't know what he is missing, but I could live with trout too:D

noble pig said...

Oh how could he not eat those sausages!! YUm!

Complaint Department Manager said...

If it was Italian sausage, I would have deferred as well. But if not, no way.


On a side note:

TAG, YOUR IT!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Can I come over and eat this? Ben won't touch any of it!

Adam said...

That just spells out a Football season meal for me. I love sausage and mushrooms, I can even imagine the smell :)

Ok, I'm going to buy some kielbasa now, thanks!

Dee said...

There's a sausage controversy? Pray tell. Sausages and mushrooms are two of my favourite foods, and both on a plate together would be just a little like heaven.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Susan - Thanks and I'ven seen on your FB that you're not having better weather than I am despite being in Florida. That's rough!

Donna - I can always count on you to love sausage photos! In the winter when it's impossible to get good tomatoes, sometimes you just have to splurge on Campari ones.

Em - I see another sausage lover here.

Val - Well, I guess in our case it works out well. I won't eat the trout and he won't eat the sausage. We each think the other is nuts.

NP - I wish I knew the answer to that!

CDM - Italian sausage all the way. I like your tag game, but I need to motivate myself more to do it.

Duckie - You are welcome to come over for mushroom ragout any time. It would be my pleasure. I see yo ualso have a crazy husband!

Adam - I hadn't thought of kielbasa. I like that idea very much. Maybe next time.

Dee - I will exlpain in an upcoming post. It's not about sausage, just about the photos of them.

CookiePie said...

YUM - both dishes look fabulous!!

The Duo Dishes said...

Can't believe your husband wouldn't eat that. Looks really good. Perfect for a sub sandwich with any leftovers.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I could eat this anytime, and I love all your sausage photos, raw and cooked. hey, you're just keeping it real, we've all seen it before what's wrong with that?

claudia said...

lovely recipe but i have pan envy