Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm Feeling Ducky

Quack Quack.

I love duck. I totally and utterly with mad passion love the flesh of our fine feathered fowl friends. If I had the ability to wax poetic about it, I would be writing odes. Sadly, I have no talent for that sort of thing (I leave that talent to another Duck). All I can do is just EAT IT.

I have yet to attempt preparing a whole duck in my own kitchen (although I believe such a thing is going to happen in the coming weeks), but I can make duck breasts pretty easily. After reading Sue's delightful (as always) posts on the FN cooks and their take on duck breasts, I felt it was time for me to have a little duckie feast.

I gave my brain a squeeze and decided upon a sauce for them. Oranges and honey are good together (as long as I have the right type of honey) and I had ginger a-plenty left over from the noodle-soup making, so I thought that would make a nice glaze.

I took it up one step though.

I used blood oranges.


Duck breast skin is scored and then the breasts are placed face-down in the pan at a low temperature.

While the breasts did their thing in the pan, I whirled together the juice of those oranges along with the ginger and the honey. I threw a little soy souce in there too. The sauce was a beautiful shade of purple-y red. I would use one less orange than I used though. I made a little too much of it.

I drained the pan, deglazed it with the sauce, put the breasts back in, and cooked them through in the oven for 10 more minutes.

Sweet, succulent, and served with my creamed spinach. I couldn't be happier.

Sir Pickypants is anti-duck. He only eats chicken and turkey when it comes to meat (although he'll do pheasant in a pinch). I made him shrimp. I saved some of that orange mixture, tossed the shrimp in it, and then roasted it at 400 degrees for 6 minutes, as Ina Garten instructs.

Duck Breasts With Blood Orange Glaze

2 duck breast filets, defrosted
Juice of 3 blood oranges
2 Tbl honey
1 Tbl ground ginger
1 Tbl soy sauce
Pinch salt plus more for sprinkling

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Score several cuts into the skin of the duck breasts. You want to score just the skin. Stop your knife before it hits the meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.

Heat a pan to medium low. Place the duck in there skin side down. Gently cook for 15 minutes, occasionally draining your pan.

Mix together your ginger, honey, salt, orange juice, and soy sauce while the duck does its thing.*

Flip your duck breasts over and cook the meat side for 5 minutes. Then place them in the oven for another 5 minutes.

*For the shrimp, put aside about 2 tablespoons of the sauce. Toss about a dozen medium shrimp in it. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Hubby will agree it's delicious that way.

16 comments:

Peter M said...

You knocked this dish out of the park, duck looks good and that creamed spinach almost steals the show.

Sue said...

Thank you for the shoutout.:-) I'm so glad you got YOUR duck and using shrimp for the mister was a really good idea too.

One question: WHO was the other duck breast for?

Emily said...

Nice! This looks so good. I like the looks of your Asian meal below, too.

Melissa said...

Steve doesn't like duck either. At least not yet. I'm hoping we can try it again together at home. I can't believe you make him another dinner. You rock.

Your creativity always makes me smile. Great job on the sauce.

Bellini Valli said...

Blood oranges would knock the socks off this dish!!!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Peter- Thanks.

Sue - Duck sandwiches the next day!

Em - Thanks.

Melissa- It's not a big deal to make two meals since I make Kevin something super easy and use most of the same ingredients. I only make a HUGE effort to make two meals whe it's a special occasion.

Val - They are a fun ingredient, aren't they? I just love the color of the juice!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't eat the duck, because it's cannabilistic, but I appreciate the shout out! It looks delicious!

Dee said...

This looks great. The prawn too.

I'm too chicken to cook duck... giggle.
But seriously, I never have and you make it sound so simple. That's it... really? When you put the duck back in the oven, did you turn it over or was it still skin side down?

I might actually hunt down some duck breasts this weekend (this is begging for another corny remark, but I'll restrain myself).

peter said...

I love duck. And blood oranges. Hard to go wrong...

Those turkey meatballs look good, too... I made something similar last night.

Lo said...

I'm so with you when it comes to duck. Some (like your Sir Pickypants) might say it's fowl -- but I think it's heaven. :)

Love the blood oranges here. I always get sucked into buying them when they're in season -- but never really make good use of them. But, this my dear, is lovely.

See! Another reason why I keep you around!

~~louise~~ said...

Oh how I adore Duck. (duckie too:) I'd love to try your method when I can muster up the nerve. I've never cooked duck on my own. Yours looks so delectably good, I'm now craving duck. Gee, I wonder if I can find it in PA. You think I would have given it a whirl when I lived on Long Island. Silly me:) Thanks for sharing...

noble pig said...

I wish my husband would eat duck because I love it too! Nice work here!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a good weekend!

Complaint Department Manager said...

Hey woman, have you seen my pet duck anywhere?.....

OH DEAR GOD!!! YOU DIDN'T?!?!?!

Kevin said...

That duck looks really good! I have been wanting to try cooking duck for a while.

The Duo Dishes said...

Anyone who makes duck gets five stars! This season's blood oranges are really nice too. You can do a lot with them.