Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Shiny Happy Bowls of Noodle Soup

I certainly had my share of responders in support of eggplant in the last post. I'm afraid I'll probably stick to my vow not to make it anymore though. I clearly can't cook it in a way that I enjoy it, and since it has no nutritional value, I don't see the point. I'll stick to eating it in Asian restaurants, where someone else can prepare it in an acceptable manner, or else stick to some fattening eggplant parmigiana.

I did much better with the soup I made this week. I was craving a big bowl of Asian noodles and this soup hit the spot. It was so easy, I didn't even need a recipe.

I took two quarts of homemade chicken stock I had sitting in the freezer and added the white part of two scallions, two dried hot peppers, three lightly-crushed cloves of garlic, a big chunk of ginger, and two tablespoons of soy sauce (next time I'll use 1) to the pot and let it simmer.

I soaked a package of cellophane noodles in hot water for 10 minutes and tossed them with some sesame oil.

I cooked some cremini mushrooms in sesame oil just until they were brown and soft. I know they're not very Asian, but the store only had button, portobello, cremini, and shitake mushrooms available. I don't like shitakes.

I made my Asian turkey meatballs (my "skinless wontons"). This is one pound of ground turkey mixed with the green part of those scallions (about two tablespoons), a tablespoon of soy sauce, and two teaspoons of ground ginger. These went in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes and then cooked the rest of the way in the soup for another 10.

When everything was ready, I laid the noodles at the bottom of a big bowl and poured the soup and meatballs on top. The bowl was garnished with the mushrooms along with some shredded carrots, cilantro, and more chopped scallions.

A delcious warmer on a winter night and a definite improvement over last week's eggplant. I feel much better now.

6 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

I'm a noodle nut! I could eat them every night. Your noodle bowls sue make me happy!

Bellini Valli said...

LOve the photo of the soup, it looks swirled lovingly.

Sue said...

I love that idea of using just the wonton filling without the wrap and then serving it with noodles. That's really smart. But I bet those meatballs thingies WOULD be really good inside a wonton too.

Melissa said...

When I made my potstickers some weeks back I used the leftover meat for stir fry. Meatballs next time!

And truly you should be proud of this bowl of cooking redemption. It looks FANTASTIC. I'm impressed.

The Blonde Duck said...

The health inspectors on Ladybug Island are quite strict...

Lo said...

So, apparently I'm making my way back through your posts in a very unorganized fashion... but I'm glad I didn't miss this one entirely. That Shiny Happy Bowl of soup looks amazing.

For one, I love the little filling meatballs -- so good. And secondly, noodles rock. You can make me soup any old time.