Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together

Remember that old Reese's peanut butter cup commercial? Some things were just meant to go together.

Well, today's recipe isn't chocolate and peanut butter, but it does have to do with one of my favorite combinations.

As you know, I've been having a bit of a food block, relying on old recipes or just not being able to come up with anything new or interesting. I needed some inspiration quickly or my blog would languish (and that wouldn't be good since I have just created a page for it on Facebook).

I found my inspiration at the bottom of the refrigerator. There in the crisper drawer were a few scallions that still seemed usable and a big, fat knob of ginger.

Ginger and scallions are just a magical combination aren't they? Maybe they're not chocolate and peanut butter, but when you're cooking with ginger and scallions and the aroma permeates the air so perfectly, I can't help but swoon. I think I could drink that dipping sauce the Chinese takeout places give you with the dumplings.

I started thinking about recipes that would employ my soon-to-be-decayed aromatics. I wasn't feeling Asian. I wanted something that wouldn't taste like the meatballs I used in my noodle soup.

Then I remembered a recipe I made years ago that used chicken, ginger, scallions, cream, and brandy. I had made it for dinner for my father and stepmother years ago. It was possibly the first meal I ever served them in my current home. It was not a typical ginger and scallion dish. It didn't make me think of Asian food. I do remember how good it smelled while it was cooking.

I did my usual brain squeeze to remember the recipe, or at least figure out how to make something similar. It wasn't just about the sauce though. I didn't want chicken this time around. I wanted pork.

I started with the white parts of the scallions and grated ginger sauteed in olive oil and butter. I browned some pork tenderloin medallions in it. The smell was perfect.


Brandy deglazed the pan, the pork cooked through in the mixture, and at the last minute I added cream and the green parts of the scallions.


Despite the fact that my crappy food photography might suggest otherwise,this was gooooood. I served with steamed broccolini, which I unfortunately left in the steamer too long because I turned my back on it to do some laundry. Whoops!

Ginger and scallions will always be a winning combination no matter what you cook them with.

Pork Medallions in Ginger Brandy Cream Sauce

1 1lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1" slices
Salt and pepper
3 scallions, sliced. White and green parts divided
1 Tbl grated ginger
Salt and pepper
1 cup brandy
1/2 cup cream
1 Tbl oil
1 Tbl butter

Heat oil and butter in a large pan. Add white parts of scallions and the ginger. Cook until really fragrant.

Add the pork slices. Brown well on both sides. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Pour brandy into pan and scrape up the brown bits. Reduce slightly and add pork back in until cooked through.

Remove pork to a plate. Add cream and green parts of scallions to the sauce and stir in well. Pour sauce over pork medallions.

7 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

This combination is to die for...well not die but I will certainly try it.

Sue said...

Beautiful recipe, but you can't mention peanut butter and chocolate and not give us a little shot of a peanut butter cup...or a bag of mixed chips, at least! ;-)

I love that you used brandy. It gives such a rich, complex flavor to the sauce. Yum!

So, no peanut butter and chocolate...even for dessert?

noble pig said...

The brandy is a nice touch, giving many layers of flavor I bet.

Peter M said...

That pork dish looks phenomenal and it sounds delish...brandy & cream....I thee wed.

The Blonde Duck said...

That amazes me you can just come up with that!

Melissa said...

I have no doubt that was really good, and your picture proves it just fine. I think I would have drunk the sauce off the plate...

Re. the ingredient pairing - I started making David Chang's ginger-scallion-garlic sauce just recently and OHMYGOD. It's a blend that's addictive!

Jeff Hickmott said...

I love broccolini... I always steam it ever so gently and then serve in a big mound with shaved parmesan on it. Usually as a side with some chicken that I call 'Pizza Chicken'... I bake some chicken breasts (skinless until almost done, then I take them out of the oven, sprinkle with Italian Seasoning, place a nice big slice of provolone on top, drizzle of Olive Oil, back in the oven for a few minutes, serve with a little marinara and the broccolini... num! The reason it's called Pizza Chicken is because when it's baking it makes the whole house smell like pizza. Go crazy with the oregano (it's a cancer fighter!) if you feel so inspired.