Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together - For Real This Time!

Thanks everyone for the onion tips. Now I know to look for shiny skins and to give them a squeeze. Do you ever feel guilty going through a produce bin, examining and squeezing and rejecting produce? I know I do. I see people looking at me and disapproving of my putting my grimy mitts all over the food. Then of course I start thinking about other people doing the same thing. Then I go home and wash everything compulsively. I'm less worried about pesticide residue than I am about all of the people who may have been handling my produce. Ewwwwwwwwww

Anyway, today I'm going to talk about the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter that I have been talking about all too much and not actually baking any of these days. Doesn't that make you feel happy? We need more happiness around here. If you live in the Northeast, you're likely buried under the - I dunno thirtieth? - snowstorm of the season and need a little comforting chocolate and peanut butter together.

My barn had their annual potluck awards dinner. I was assigned to bring dessert. I needed to make something simple and crowd-pleasing that would travel well.

I decided to make my public debut of My First Chocolate Cake. In case you don't remember, this cake was the first (and so far only) chocolate cake I ever made using a recipe of my own invention. It's not terribly different from other chocolate cakes, but I'm rather proud of it because it's mine. It's fairly simple to make. It comes together quickly enough to render cake mixes obsolete.

I frosted it with a very easy peanut butter frosting. I got the recipe from Donna. Actually, it was seeing her recipe directly linked on her blog that inspired me to do something similar in the first place. The frosting looked simple and delicious, so why not put it on my own chocolate cake?

Dinner was typical potluck fare. Lots of chicken dishes and pasta dishes. Someone made Crock Pot pulled pork that was the hit of the night. Definitely lots of crowd-pleasing food. I forgot my camera, so I never took a photo of the buffet.

Here is my dessert plate with the cake as the jewel in the crown. I had to take it with my cell phone, so please excuse the quality. Nothing fancy. Nothing complicated. Just sweet chocolatey-peanut-buttery goodness. Perfect ending to a meal.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You cook a lot for crowds! They're lucky. What could be better than a chocolate cake with peanut butter?