Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Forgotton Blogiversary - and Forgotten Book!

I completely forgot to acknowledge something quite important. Monday was my Blogiversary.

Yes, TERP is now three!


Can you believe it? I am so grateful to all of you who have been reading this blog all along, and am always happy to see more new readers enjoy my special brand of kitchen insanity.

Three years can be a long time to stay on top of your game and keep coming up with new and creative ideas in the kitchen. If you're a disordered cook, you do sometimes have your dry spells. I don't want to disappoint people so I always search for new inspiration.

Last night I decided to try a suggestion that came courtest of Cookie Pie. Pull out a disused cookbook and open it to a random page. Make whatever recipe you find.

Well, remember two posts ago I mentioned how I won a cookbook at the Ultimate Recipe Showdown? I also mentioned I never used it. The time had come.


I opened it up to a recipe for turkey turnovers. Three pages back there was a recipe for roast turkey, so I assumed that the recipe was meant to be a way to use up leftover turkey. I had no leftover turkey, so I made a tweak or two to make the recipe my own.

I poached a pair of bone-in chicken breasts and used them in the place of turkey. The original recipe called for shitake mushrooms, but I used cremini. Shitake are too strong for me.

A pan of butter, mushrooms, onions, chicken, brandy, mustard, and heavy cream. You couldn't find more classic TERP ingredients in a recipe than this. Hmmmm...was I not being original by choosing this recipe? The filling is so much like many of my recipes. Funny how what I chose at random is a lot like the stuff I cook regularly.


Everything gets wrapped up in puff pastry and baked. I admit I'm not very good at working with stuff like this. This turnover was the best one of the bunch.

On the side is Broccoli Hash, also from the book. I really should have chopped the broccoli a bit smaller. The FN recipe has you blanching the broccoli in hot water, but never tells you to give it the cold water bath. I'm telling you to do just that.

Chicken Turnovers(Adapted from Making It Easy from the Food Network Kitchens)
Ingredients
3 Tbl butter
1 onion, diced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup brandy
2 Tbl dijon mustard
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups of cooked, diced chicken meat
4 Sheets thawed frozen puff pastry

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a skillet melt butter and add onions. Cook until soft. Add mushrooms and cook until they are soft and dry looking. Stir in brandy carefully (don't let it flame up). Cook until evaporated. Add cream and mustard and bring to a boil, cooking until the sauce is thick. Stir in chicken.

Place puff pastry sheets on the cookie sheet. Cut in half diagonally. Place 1/4 of the filling in the center of each triange and fold over, using a little water to seal the edges and crimping with the fork. Brush with additional cream if desired.

Bake 25 minutes or until golden.

Broccoli Hash (Adapted from Making It Easy by the Food Network Kitchens)
Ingredients
1 head broccoli cut into small florets and stems cut in small pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 large shallots, diced
3 Tbl pine nuts - toasted
3 Tbl butter

Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes in heavily salted, boiling water. Immediate remove and plunge into ice cold water. Drain and set aside. Cut into even small bits if desired.

Melt butter in a skillet and add shallots. Cook until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant - about a minute or two. Add chopped broccoli and cook until soft and it develops some brown edges. Sprinke with pine nuts and serve.

15 comments:

Rachael said...

Congrats on your blogiversary! 3 years is a great accomplishment!

Your turnover looks great. I never thought to make one at home but if it's from an "easy" recipe book...then it can't be too tough...right?

Stacey Snacks said...

I love that numeral 3 on a door, so pretty and vintage.
An apartment number?
Happy #3!

Bellini Valli said...

Three years is quite a milestone congratulations!!!!!! Keep doing what you're doing!!

Six Feet Under Blog said...

Wow . Congrats for keeping it up. There are times that I wonder if anyone even reads mine!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Rach - Thanks. It really was an easy dish. The filling came together quickly and the hard part was sealing the turnovers! I was just sloppy about it. Definitely give it a try.

Stacey - Thanks. I was looking for a #3 graphic on Google images and this one really caught my eye.

Val - So glad I've had you as a reader all of this time.

SFU - I know how you feel! My readership has dropped off in recent months. I used to dream of 50 responses, but on my best days I get half that. I'm happy though that I do have a small but loyal following. One of my favorite sayings is, "I'd rather be 9 people's favorite thing than a hundred people's 9th favorite thing." Your blog is very cute and I'm sure you have a good core group of people who consider it their favorite. It's hard to stand out with so many blogs out there.

The Blonde Duck said...

I find when I try new recipes, I'm drawn to the familar too. Anything with bbq sauce or Mexican/ SW or Southeren themed...

happy anniversary!

Lo said...

Mmm. That turnover looks stupendous. But, I'm having a tough time believing that you're "3" already. You still look so young! Your skin is so firm and supple. I don't think you look a whisp past two.

Melissa said...

Like everyone else said, the turnover... gimme.

Happy 3rd Rachel!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I always love bad puns. I'm glad you appreciate them as much as I do!

jesse said...

Happy 3rd blirthday TERP! After a year away from the blogosphere, it's so comforting to come back to my old favourites =)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Lo - Why thank you! Butter must be a great perservative!

Jesse! Hi and welcome back to the blogosphere. Good to see you again!

Emily said...

These sound realllly good. Oh wow - and they're wrapped in puff pastry. The broccoli hash sounds good too.

I liked your post on the matzo brei as well. I'm going to have to remember to save some chicken fat!

Congrats on your THIRD year of blogging! Wow! Keep up the excellent work.

Sue said...

I'm so sorry that I'm so late with this comment, but we were away with lousy internet access.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Three years is an awesome time to have been blogging.

You shouldn't worry about being inspired in the kitchen. You seem to be cooking better than ever and I love how you share your creations with so many other people. I'm sure the blogging positively effects your cooking and vice versa. Keep up the great work with both.

The Blonde Duck said...

Come to Texas for Easter--it'll be 80 and sunny!

Dee said...

Happy Anniversary!