Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

So I Made Another Chicken Recipe (and I tried to be different)

So I'm still looking around a bit for my creative spark. This week I wanted a new recipe for the blog, but I wanted to give myself a little bit of a challenge.

It seems most of the recipes I've been making lately have contained nuts, alcohol, or heavy cream. What about people who are allergic to nuts? What about people who are lactose intolerant (like my own husband)? What about people who don't like the taste of liquor in their food? Since I created a Facebook page for this blog, I have friends who may be reading it more than they used to and if they're coming to me for recipe ideas, I would like to be more inclusive with recipes they might actually like.

Before I went shopping today, I told myself to try to find an ingredient I have never cooked with, or haven't cooked with in a long time. The dish couldn't contain nuts, cream, or alcohol. I also challenged myself to leave onion and garlic out of it.

My inspiration came from Peter. Why not try pomegranates? I have mixed POM with proseco as a beverage, but I couldn't think of too many other times I've cooked with pomegranate. I decided it was time to give it a try.

I bought a bottle of pomegranate concentrate. I poured it into a pot with honey and lemon juice and reduced it way down. I brushed it over a split chicken.

I served the chicken in a pool of more pomegranate sauce with some green beans (I confess I just tossed some frozen ones in garlic, oil, oregano, and red pepper flakes). It was very simple and very tasty. Pomegranates make excellent sauce.

I didn't plate it very well unfortunately.



Chicken Roasted with Pomegranate Glaze

1 3-4 pound chicken
1 cup pomegranate concentrate (found in the juice aisle)
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup mild honey
Salt and pepper

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a sharp knife or kitchen shears, remove the backbone of the chicken by cutting up either side of it. Press flat and place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle well with salt and pepper.

In a small pot combine lemon juice, honey, and pomegranate concentrate, Bring to a boil and reduce by half until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Don't overcook or it will get too sticky and thick.

Brush sauce liberally all over the chicken, reserving extra sauce for serving. Place chicken in the oven and roast for about an hour or until juices are no longer pink.

Carve and serve with additional sauce.

4 comments:

Peter M said...

Glad to have inspired you, Pom juice does make for a nice sauce, no?

DO try it with the garlic and rosemary in it...you'll know from the aroma as it reduces that it will be awesome.

Emily said...

Oh yes. You know how I feel about Pom juice. This chicken sounds great!

Bellini Valli said...

POM makes for a delicious sauce doesn't it:D

noble pig said...

That glaze sounds over the top! Just wow!! The color is nice too!