Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Soup of the Day

I have been going crazy for soup making lately. I'm so into roasting chickens that I end up with lots of tasty carcasses left over. I've taken to freezing them along with any aging veggies I have lying around the refrigerator, and then boiling it all up for a nice stock when I feel I have enough. I can make quite a bit of stock in one shot, and that means I have a few quarts of homemade stock in the freezer to make soup any time I feel like it.

Soup is a fun thing to play with. I like experimenting with what types of veggies, fruits, and meat combinations I can come up with. A nice pot of soup means lunch for an entire week.

For this week's soup I got a little crazy. I wanted something a little exotic. I was thinking of maybe doing some tom ka gai (one of my most favorite soups in the world), but I thought it would be more fun to create a soup of my own, something that would still have a nice curry flavor to it.

I came up with an idea for a chicken curry soup that would have a more Indian, rather than a Thai, flair. Sad to say, the soup is heavily based on a curry sauce I've made in the past that often is part of a vegetarian dish! I diluted a vegetarian curry sauce recipe with chicken stock!

I am going to include a vegetarian version in the recipe, but I won't apologize for using chicken stock. Homemade chicken stock has a taste and quality that can't be beat. I've made a few vegetarian soup recipes in the past few weeks where I have substituted my homemade stock. If you have it, use it!



I wasn't crazy about the color of the soup. Next time I might add another can of tomatoes to make it a bit redder.

Chicken (Or Not) Curry Soup

2 Onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
Oil for sauteeing
1 Tbl fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp garam masala
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can lite coconut milk
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
Diced cooked chicken (optional for non-veggie version)
Cooked cauliflower, peas, potatoes, and whatever other veggies you might want to throw in for a veggie version

In a large pot, cook the onions in a little oil till soft. Add your tumeric, coriander and garam masala until very fragrant and has really coated the onions. Add the ginger and garlic and stir cooking till they are fragrant as well. Add carrots and cook until they start to soften.

Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and stock. Simmer about 30 minutes or until everything is soft.

Using a stick blender, or working in batches with a food processor, blend the soup until smooth.

Add your chicken or veggies add ins and gently heat until all is heated through. Serve and enjoy.

3 comments:

Sue said...

That sounds really good. I could use some now!

katiez said...

I know that color.... I've gotten it with lentils. Whatever, it's all about the taste and it sounds great. I had purreed courgette in my freezer I was using for soup bases - same problem. I need to make some chicken stock....

The Blonde Duck said...

I still need to roast a chicken.