Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Ah Spring!

Spring! Balmy weather! Sunshine!

Well, what do you know! It's been sticking around. Other than a few cold days here and there, It's been pretty nice outside since Easter. Can it last?

Well, "April is the cruelest month..."

At least the signs of spring are coming with the produce. The spring onions, one of the most beautiful veggies out there, have made it to the market.

I counteracted those days of rain and chill by making them into a nice soup.

No recipe needed.

Saute sliced spring onion in butter. Then add broccoli, chopped up small.

Put in a quart of chicken stock and simmer till veggies are tender.

Process in a food processor or with a stick blender and then add a cup of heavy cream.


I also added some chopped up leftover Easter ham.

Later in the week I decided to take a comfort classic and "spring it up" a bit. .

I drew my inspiration from Kevin of Closet Cooking (this Kevin is no Pickypants). He suggested a sauce of apricot jam and mustard for the Easter ham.

I love using apricot-based sauce on my chicken, but I tend to go with a more Asian theme and mix my jam with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sriracha (Frank's is good in it too). CC had me thinking a little sweeter, a little milder, a little more spring-like.

Again, this doesn't need a recipe.

I mixed a sauce of:
1/2 cup apricot preserves
2 Tbl dijon mustard
1 Tbl white balsamic vinegar

I removed the backbone of the chicken and flattened it ou, sprinkled it with salt and peppers and laid it on top of a bed of more of those spring onions. Then I spread a good amount of the mixture over the chicken.


I stuck it in the oven at 350 for an hour.

While it roasted, I mixed the remaining glaze with some chicken broth and brought it to a boil. When I had it at the right consistency, it made a nice sauce for the side of the chicken.

I think 45 minutes was all I really needed to roast this for, as you can see the sweet glaze was a little burnt. The chicken wasn't dried out though. But definitely don't roast your chicken as long as I roasted mine.

On the side are string beans that I blanched and sauteed with more spring onions and mushrooms. Very nice spring meal indeed.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Ah yes! Spring! Very nice.

That chicken looks SO good! I think it looks perfectly browned.

Lo said...

Well, spring is definitely here -- and you're totally on board. Love what you've done with the place.

Haven't spied any spring onions around these parts yet, but (rest assured) I'll be keeping my eyes peeled. And crossing my fingers that the sunny weather lasts...

Astra Libris said...

I'm so excited to have just discovered your blog! I sing and ride horses too! :-)

Your spring onion and broccoli soup sounds heavenly! As does your gorgeous chicken glaze... I think the dark browning looks awesome!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never tried to roast a chicken! Yours looks so good though! Maybe I could do a bbq version....

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Em - I'm glad it didn't look overbaked. It didn't taste burnt at least.

Lo - So much for spring. It's grown rainy and chilly - as per typical NY April - today.

AL - Thanks for stopping by fellow singing equestrian. I'm glad I now have two people thinking the chicken wasn't burnt.

Duckie - We must get you to roast a chicken!

noble pig said...

That turned out incredible, look at the color!!

The Blonde Duck said...

You're closer to the plot of Dallas Jean Lee than anyone else...

The Blonde Duck said...

Even heroes get wiped out...

The Duo Dishes said...

Look at that spring chicken! Great week night meal.

peter said...

I think glazes with sugar are prone to burning- maybe if you add it halfway through the roasting it would be better. And I love green onions- they're roaring back in the garden, so I'm using them in everything right now.