Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's All Emily's Fault

So after I posted my blog about my new Jackson Hole cookbook, Emily made the comment, "Hey! How about hazelnut crusted chicken with cherry sauce?" Well, that was like issuing me a challenge. I had a big bug in my ear that I absolutely MUST come up with a hazelnut-crusted chicken with cherry sacue recipe.

The first thing I had to think about was what I wanted for my sauce. I still had a bottle of port left over from my last fancy chicken dish, so I decided to use that. I wanted some shallots in there too, but I couldn't find shallots at the farmer's market. All I found were these young onions.


I used some thin chicken cutlets because they cook quickly. I did a very standard breading on these. I dredged them in rice flour, dipped them in egg, and coated them with a mixture of ground hazelnuts and gluten-free breadcrumbs. Then I fried them up.

Time to make the sauce. I sauteed the onion, added the cherries, and deglazed the pan with the port and some homemade chicken stock. I needed just a little something more.

I raided the spice cabinet and squeezed my brains. I did a little mad-scientist-style spice mixing until I came up with the perfect flavoring for my sauce: coriander, allspice, cinnamon, and cardamon along with just a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Well, thanks for the inspiration Emily, because this was a really good dish. I think it made up for the disappointing cherry sauce I had at Trio in Jackson. I really want to make this one again.

On the side was sauteed lambs quarter. I saw it in the farmer's market and was curious. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. It's greens.

Hazelnut-Crusted Chicken with Cherry Sauce

Ingredients
1 pound chicken cutlets
Flour for dredging
1 egg, beaten with a small splash of milk
3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely ground
1/4 cup bread crumbs
3 young onions, diced (or use 3 large shallots)
2 cups pitted cherries
1 cup port
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground coriander
Pinch salt and pepper
1 Tbl butter
Olive oil for sauteeing

In 3 separate dishes place your flour, egg, and crumbs mixed with the nuts. You can season the flour with a little salt and pepper if you like.

Dip each chicken piece in the flour, the egg, and then the crumb/nut mixture.

Fry in olive oil about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add onions and cook until softened. Add cherries and cook until soft and are giving off their juice.

Stir in port and chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add spices. Simmer until reduced by about half.

Stir in the butter and cook another minute until nice and thick.

Serve sauce over chicken.

9 comments:

bellini valli said...

Excellent suggestion Emily.

The Duo Dishes said...

Love love love the crust. That nutty flavor is perfect for the chicken.

Sue said...

Please tell us the amount of cherries you used. That sounds sooo good.

Warner (aka ntsc) said...

Followed the crumbs from The Noble Pig

Warner (aka ntsc) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - She's good like that!

DD - Nuts are an awesome crust on just about anything I'm learning.

Sue - Whoops! I fixed that problem. Two cups are now part of the recipe. I really need to do better proofreading before I post.

Warner - Thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to browsing your blogs more.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love how creative you are.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love bacon.

Emily said...

Haha you made me laugh when I saw the title of your post. I was hoping you would make hazelnut crusted chicken with cherry sauce. I think that sounds SO good. And you did! It looks incredible!