Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice Supper: NO MORE CHICKEN

When the day is going to be as long as it's going to be for the rest of year, you definitely want to be out as much as possible. The official beginning of summer deserves some kind of observance.

Let me state that I'M SICK OF CHICKEN.

It's not that I'm sick of eating chicken. I'm just sick of chicken recipes. I looked at my last few posts here and saw that 3 out of the last 4 posts I made have been chicken. The only one that wasn't chicken was dessert. This needs to be remedied.

I bought some very nice pork chops at the farmer's market this weekend. I bought some shrimp for SPP. It's time for a change.

I wanted to do something summery and fun. I wanted to make something that would taste wonderful on the grill - if I had a grill. I opted for a sweet and spicy mango sauce. I wanted to enjoy the longest day of the year by eating al fresco. I accomplished this by serving dinner on my balcony.


So for dinner I cooked pork chops on a grill pan and topped them with a sauce of mango, lime, and chipolte. On the side was just some grilled zucchini strips in lemon and olive oil tossed with grilled garlic scapes.

It's very hard to get a good photo on your dark balcony at close range. Sorry.

SPP got the sauce on roasted shrimp with the same side.

We washed it down with lots of wine as we sat on our balcony and watched the sun go down.* It was nice being out on the balcony with just the two of us. Often when Kevin comes home, he's frazzled and we end up sitting in front of the TV with whatever is in our Netflix queue, barely interacting with each other. Last night we drank wine and just talked. We had real dinner conversation. We talked about our upcoming July vacation. We mulled over the memories of our last trip. He even asked me about how I made my mango sauce.

*Okay. We didn't watch it go down. We face the opposite direction from the sunset. It did sound nice and poetic, didn't it?

So now I'm going to share that mango sauce recipe. Pour it on grilled chops. Toss it with roast shrimp. I suspect it would even be good on *erp* chicken.

Mango Sauce

1 Tbl olive oil
1 garlic scape, cut into small pieces*
4 mangoes, diced
1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
1 Tbl agave syrup**
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp chipotle powder***
1/4 cup water (or chicken broth or juice)if needed
2 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)

Cook garlic scape pieces in olive oil until fragrant. Add the mango chunks and cook until they begin to soften.

Stir in lime, agave, and vinegar. Continue cooking until mango starts to fall apart and it takes on a sauce-like consistency.

Stir in water/juice/broth if you feel you want a thinner consistency. Mix in cilantro and season with salt to taste.

Serve over your favorite proteins.

*Scallions would do nicely too
**You can also use brown sugar or honey. Just sweeten the sauce to taste.
***I would also think a choppped jalapeno or other hot pepper chopped up and sauteed with the garlic/scallion would also give the sauce a nice kick. It just would lack the smokiness.

2 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

Love that sauce! It sounds like it would go with just about anything, including chicken. The pork chops look pretty great too. SPP doesn't know what he's missing! ;)

The Duo Dishes said...

Perfect sauce. Fruits work so well for pork chops.