Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Solving the Cilantro Problem

I'm sure this has happened to you. You buy a bunch of cilantro for one recipe, use only a tablespoon or two, and the rest ends up turning to slime before you can use it again. I have put it in a glass of water hoping to extend its life a little bit, only to have the most foul-smelling mess in that glass within a day or two. Cilantro doesn't keep well. I tried growing it myself one summer, but it went to seed with the same speed that it turns to slime after it has been picked.

This month's issue of Food & Wine offered a wonderful solution. Turn it into pesto and freeze it.

If you're like me and enjoy turning all kinds of random herbs into pesto, you can really enjoy playing with cilantro. After my last overpurchase of cilantro, I came up with the following "recipe".

1 bunch leftover cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup roasted and salted pepitas
1 jalapeno pepper
Juice of 1 lime

Whirl around in your blender/food processor or other grinding device.

I smeared this one some beautiful chicken I bought at the farmer's market. I cut them in half and gave them a liberal coating.



Roast and serve with pineapple rice to counteract the heat and some green and yellow beans.



Okay, I'm sorry the colors on the plate looked so dull, but it was a darned tasty meal!

Try playing with your cilantro the next time you have bunch!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Slimy cilantro IS a big pain. That's a good idea to make pesto. And I like the idea of pineapple rice.

bellini valli said...

Of course! An a-ha moment!!!

Donna-FFW said...

I have the same issue all the time because my hubby HATES cilantro. What a great solution!

Marc @ NoRecipes said...

Pesto for cilantro is a great idea! If you buy the cilantro with the roots still attached they keep for a while in a glass of water (you have to change the water every day).

The Blonde Duck said...

I wonder if they have dried cilantro. I bet they do down here. I could ship it to you, if I find any.

Emily said...

Sorry I have been absent lately! Just trying to catch up with everything.

I think this chicken sounds so good. You could make chimichurri also.