Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Just Another Chicken Recipe

Hi everyone! I’m back. I had a glorious vacation. You can read about it on my other blog, or just look at my photos.

I hope you all didn't miss me too much and that you enjoyed Erik's guest blog. Thanks to all who dropped by and gave comment love.

As I do on every vacation, I ate too much. Chincoteague cuisine has been covered before (it doesn’t change much) and I didn’t really try anything new, so there isn’t anything to blog about on that front. I’m just needing to get back to some decent, nutritious, and fresh home cooking.

The morning after I returned from vacation I headed straight to the local farmer’s market and stocked up on veggies and fruits for the week along with my favorite chickens from Feather Ridge Farm and some green beans and fresh corn on the cob.

Every time I buy a chicken, I’m always thinking of new things to do with it. What kinds of seasonings and sauces and glazes should I put on it today?

For some reason I’ve been having a craving for teriyaki chicken lately. I remember discovering teriyaki sauce when I was about 12 and falling madly in love with it. Back in those days, I only ever had the bottled stuff. It never occurred to me that I could just mix some soy sauce and sweetener and ginger and rice wine and get the same effect. Like most sauces on the planet, it’s always better when you make it yourself.

So if I made teriyaki sauce, how would I use it? I had a whole chicken on my hands. I’m not an expert at carving chickens into serving pieces before I cook them. If you’re a regular reader, you know my preferences for chicken is to just cutout the spine and roast them whole. Can I roast a whole chicken in teriyaki sauce? They don’t do that in hibachi restaurants! But I am the DisOrder cook. I don’t do things like everyone else, right? How about I give it a shot?

I mixed a marinade of soy sauce (gluten free), ginger, scallions, rice wine vinegar, agave syrup, and sesame oil. I threw my split chicken in there. (The backbone goes into the freezer for future use in stock.)

I poured the remaining marinade over the chicken in the roasting pan and laid the chicken on a bed of scallions. It roasted at 350 for about 45 minutes. The last 5 minutes I put it under the broiler.

Good, but a bit salty. You can get low-sodium soy sauce, or you can get gluten-free soy sauce, but you can't get both.



Like my photo? Kevin gave me a light box for my birthday. Yay! That's my real reason for this post.

Whole Teriyaki Chicken

1 3 pound chicken backbone removed
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbl rice wine vinegar
2 Tbl agave syrup or honey (or sugar - just adjust sweetness to taste)
2 scallions, sliced

Heat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a dish large enough to hold the entire chicken. Place chicken in marinade and keep in the refrigerator for at least an hour, turning frequently.

(Better yet, mix the ingredients in a bowl and place them in a large plastic bag with the chicken. I sadly didn't have a bag that size.)

Place chickens on a bed of scallions if desired (use the ones left over from the bunch that you used in the marinade). Roast 45 minutes.

Place under broiler 2 minutes longer to crisp up a bit.

4 comments:

bellini valli said...

Yay a light box now you can take photos in all low light.

Sue said...

Welcome back! The pictures were great!

That chicken looks so good. I sometimes cut the soy sauce with water or even orange juice to lessen the saltiness.

Emily said...

Yay! A new light box! What a good birthday present.

The chicken looks wonderful. I could never roast a chicken so beautifully. I don't even know how to take the backbone out of a chicken.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - I'm addicted to the thing.

Sue - I was thinking of using pineapple juice, but forgot to buy any. Summer heat is melting my brains!

Emily - Just take a large sharp knife or a pair of poultry scissors and just cut up one side of the spine and then the other. Don't worry if it's not the straightest, cleanest cut. You're not cooking for the Top Chef judges. The chicken cooks faster and more evenly this way and you have bones for stock!