Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Redux

I was almost not going to post the recipe I came up with this week, because I really wondered if it was too similar to what I’ve made in the past.

*Commence typical dull TERP anecdote*

It all started with dinner on Sunday night. Sir Pickypants and I were having dinner at a local coffee house, Café Mozart. The owner was really pushing the special on us. It was a sea bass in a mango ginger sauce. Café owner had made it himself and was inordinately proud of it. SPP decided to try it. He agreed that it was quite good.

I asked for a taste of the sauce, hoping that the fishiness of the bass wouldn’t permeate. I was interested in knowing just what the sauce tasted like. It was a pretty good sauce. I thought to myself, “I can do this and probably do it better.” I was determined to make a mango ginger sauce of my own this week.

That’s where the ambivalence about this blog comes in. I made another mango sauce quite recently . Not only did I make a mango sauce, but I put it on a pork chop, which is exactly what I planned to do with the new mango sauce. Maybe my readers would be tired of mango sauce.

I decided to put the recipe on the blog anyway because:

1. My last mango sauce had different flavors. It had more of a spicy Latin flare with chipotle pepper and cilantro. This one is a bit more Asian influence.

2. My last mango sauce had ingredients that were seasonal or hard to find such as garlic scapes or the aforementioned chipotle powder. This one had simpler ingredients like mango, onions, ginger, and soy sauce.

3. It’s my blog, and I’ll be repetitive if I want to!

I served it on top of a pork chop that I simply sprinkled with salt and pepper and browned in a cast iron pan and finished in a 400-degree oven.



SPP got it too, but on a piece of red snapper sprinkled with salt, pepper, and lime juice and simply baked for 20 minutes. I asked him if my sauce was better than Cafe Mozart's. Of course he said yes. What choice did he have? I almost felt bad for asking him.



(As you can see, I enjoy playing with camera angles on the new light box)

On the side we had braised bok choy, which is exactly what they served on the side at Café Mozart. Yes, I ripped them off in two ways. I browned it in a little olive and toasted sesame oils and then braised in a little chicken stock and soy sauce.

So here is my recipe. This made way more sauce than I needed for two pork chops and two pieces of fish. I’ll freeze it for future use, but the bulk of the recipe would be nice if you’re making a large volume of protein.

Mango Sauce #2

3 Ripe mangoes, diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 Tbl oil for sautéing
1 Tbl grated fresh ginger
2 Tbl soy sauce
Pinch salt (optional)
Juice of one lime

Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and cook until soft. Add mangoes and cook until they begin to soften and the chunks start to break down.

Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, and lime juice.

Puree using a stick blender or simply placing it all into a food processor. You want a nice smooth consistency. Keep warm and serve over pork, chicken, fish, or whatever other protein you like.

7 comments:

bellini valli said...

This seems like one of those "take me away to the tropics if I have to be sweltering in the summer heat" kind of dishes:D

CookiePie said...

Mmmmmmm - looks delicious! And bok choy is so yummy. Great meal! I'll be right over! :)

Emily said...

Mmm mango sauce! I couldn't get tired of this! It looks great. The next recipe you should try is and Indian mango sauce.

But they don't eat pork in India, right? So maybe with chicken. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I need a light box so my quesdillas don't look like oversized hamburgers.

What does red snapper taste like? I'm looking for more fish to fix here.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - I guess maybe my obsession with mango sauces is just a manifestation of my desire to be somewhere tropical!

Cookie - Another bok choy fan I see.

Em - Good idea. Maybe I'll have to put it on lamb!

Duckie - Wouldn't know. I don't eat fish. ;-)

Sue said...

Mangoes are sooo good and that sauce looks yummy. I love adding mangoes to lots of stuff, like black bean salsa.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the early and late summer here. When it's 105 like now it's miserable, but the rest of the time it's so lovely.