Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Borrowing Breakfast

I suppose this post is going to be a tad lame (not for the food it features, but for the lack of originality). What can I say? Nothing I can cook will compare to Paris. A friend asked me last week what I'm cooking these days and I couldn't think of a thing. Most things I've been cooking have either been flops, or things so simple that they're just not TERP-worthy.

On top of that, I'm performing in a show on Saturday night, so my nights are so filled with rehearsals that I really don't have time to mess around with recipes. (Are you local? Want to come hear me make a fool of myself sing? Click here.)

I did make one thing though that was not my recipe, but was good enough to give another blogger credit for. My dinners have been lame, but I did whip up a special breakfast for me and SPP. I couldn't spend the day with him on Sunday due to a rehearsal, so I treated him to a hot homemade breakfast.

What was my breakfast? It was an apple Dutch Baby, inspired by A Feast For The Eyes. Don't you just love that blog? There is just such a homey sweetness about the blogger and her recipes. Debby is a horseperson too, which makes it doubly good. (She also lover her apple peeler gadget and I must say I have one too and don't know how I ever made apple pie without it!)

I have a long history with Dutch Babies. Back in high school I found a recipe (probably in the advertising pages) in the Readers Digest (a bathroom staple growing up) for something called a "Giant Pancake". It was a simple recipe of just mixing together milk, flour, eggs, vanilla, and nutmeg and sticking it in the oven. Then it was sprinkled with lemon juice and powdered sugar. It was an instant crowd pleaser and one I would make often when I craved a warm, comforting breakfast.

I lost the recipe somewhere down the line and never made it again for many years. Then about 10 years ago I was spending a weekend in the Chicago area visiting my brother-in-law and his family and we all had breakfast at the Original Pancake House. One of their specialties is the Dutch Baby. It sounded good so I decided to try it.

I tried it and found it was remarkably similar to my "big pancake" from so many years ago.

I see the recipes crop up on the blogsphere now and then. Very few of them use nutmeg the way my old recipe did. I always encourage bloggers to try it with nutmeg. It's excellent against the lemon and powdered sugar.

Debby's recipe included cinnamon apples, which made the recipe that much better (and even a tad more filling and nutritious if you forget all of the sugar). With apples in season and me always looking for new apple desserts this was just perfect.

I did adapt the recipe a bit. Now that we're back from Paris, Land of Awesome Bread, I am trying to get back on the gluten-free wagon again. We will never know if he's sensitve to gluten unless we get it out of his diet completely.

I subsituted the regular flour for Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free flour. I added cinnamon to the apples, but used nutmeg in the pancake batter. Alas, I only had skim milk in the fridge, so that was what I used. I wasn't sure if I needed xanthan gum in pancakes, so I decided to use it. I added a half teaspoon of it.
The texture was a bit gummy, but I still had crispy edges and it all tasted fine. I will definitely do this again and maybe tweak the flour a bit.
I'll come up with more recipes soon. Promise.

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I, too, love Debby;s blog.. so inspiring!!

The Dutch baby looks fabulous!!

You sing?? How cool!Strip while doing it?

Sue said...

It IS hard to know what to make after going to Paris. But, wow, I love this. I'm keeping the recipe handy for houseguests. I never heard of a Dutch baby before. It sounds great. What a nice wifey you are!

Good luck tonight!

Emily said...

I LOVE dutch babies! Mom used to make them for us when we were growing up. She never used a skillet though - just baked it in a 13x9. When it was dutch baby night, man you had better look out. We would all eat the whole dish. I think her recipe calls for a stick of butter... :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always wanted to try a dutch baby!