Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Cake 2

I promised you a second apple cake, didn't I? I'm still on quite the apple cake kick 'cause it definitely is the season for it.

As you know, I've been browsing the blogs quite a bit looking for good apple cake recipes to ruin adapt and it's often hard to narrow down all of the good choices out there. There is a reason why I read certain blogs, but so many of them have such great recipes that it makes it hard to narrow them down.

After drooling over many an apple cake recipe, I knew the one I had to try. It was Apple Ricotta Cake from Bunny's Warm Oven. The thing about Bunny's blog is that every post has multiple recipes. If you don't find yourself wanting to make AT LEAST one of the recipes featured in that post, then there is something wrong with you. When I saw Bunny's recipe for a cake with ricotta in the batter and a streusel topping, I had to make it.

I decided that once again, I would make the recipe gluten-free. I made the recipe using 3/4 of a cup of rice flour, 1/2 cup sweet rice flour, and 1/2 cup potato starch (I could not tell you what made me decide on those proportions). I also added in 1/4 tsp and one little extra pinch of xanthan gum. For the flour in the steusel topping I used almond flour. The other adaption I made was I forgot to buy pecans, so I left them off.

My biggest glitch in baking it was that I'm learning that rice flour cakes take longer to bake than wheat flour cakes. After the recommended 50 minutes of baking, a toothpick in the middle came out covered with raw batter! Another 20 minutes baked the cake, but also melted the streusel together a bit. That was okay. It still tasted really good.



The cake had a bit of that grainy texture that rice flour cakes and breads tend to have, but was otherwise pretty delicious. The cake part was not too sweet, which made it a perfect foil for the sweetened apples and sweet topping. The ricotta kept it moist despite the extra baking time. I'd make this cake again in a heartbeat.

Sir Pickypants, not a fan of apples, gave it a stamp of approval. I also brought part of it to my NYC office - that place where I'm trying so hard to make friends. They seem to be warming up to me and my baking as I received many thanks and kudos for the cake all day. I think Bunny deserves some of that credit!

You know what the best part was? I had my jacket sitting on a chair near the kitchen. The next morning I was at the gym and when I was about to leave and put my jacket on, I could smell the cinnamon on it!

9 comments:

polwig said...

Yummy... I love cakes with Ricotta and Bunny... amazing looking

The Duo Dishes said...

It's great to read about your gluten free trials. We need to venture out and try at least one gluten free recipe this year, and a cake would be nice.

Sue said...

Thank you for introducing me to Bunny's blog, Gosh, EVERYTHING looks so good.

Your apple cake looks wonderful and I don't think you can have too many apple cake recipes.

Emily said...

A jacket that smells like apple cinnamon cake?! I love it. I wish my jacket smelled like that. They need to invent that perfume.

This looks GOOD! I love streusel. I'm glad Sir Pickpants liked it, too. What's your favorite apple to bake with?

The Blonde Duck said...

Cinnamon at the gym? That would give me motivation to run!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Pol- Thanks. I assume you meant that you love Bunny - and cakes with Ricotta. I don't think you want Bunny actually in the cake. ;-)

DD - You guys are so adventurous, so definitely try a gluten free cake. If you don't want to try the alchemy of mixing different flour types, Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur both have pre-mixed gf flours. I think Carol from the Simply Gluten Free blog sells one as well.

Sue- That's very true. Every year I try at least one new apple cake in the fall. Bunny's blog is a blast too.

Emily - I'd bet with all of the baking you do, your whole wardrobe must smell fantastic.

Duckie - I wish it motivated me to run. It just motivates me to eat!

Lo said...

Mmm. Apple-y, cheesy, and delicious looking. How can you beat that? We've been experimenting here and there with GF baking, and I always find it to be gratifying. I often think we should approach it more like eating vegetarian -- appreciating it for what it is, not for what it would have been. Opens up a whole new world, even for those of us who can eat gluten.

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Donna-FFW said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!