Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

This Week's Miscellany

It hasn't been all cake and pie this week. I do eat actual dinner. Nothing much has been all that TERP worthy, but I do feel there are some things of note that are worth a mention.



Don't look at the chicken here. It's no big deal. It's just grilled chicken with my mango-ginger sauce on it. I had some in the freezer and I'm on a budget this week, so I thought I'd thaw it out for a quick dinner.

The standout here was the rice. It's a delicious coconut rice.

How did I make it?

I sauteed:
The sliced white parts of two scallions in 2 Tbl olive oil and two minced cloves of garlic.

Next I added:
1 can of lite coconut milk and about 1/2 cup of chicken stock (enough liquid to make 2 1/4 cups is all you need to know)

I brought that to a boil and mixed in:

1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger and 1 cup brown rice.

Took it down to a simmer, covered it, and let it do it's thing for 45 minutes.

Then I tossed the mixture with:

The green parts of the scallions.

Creamy and flavorful, it was great against the mangoes.

For "Casual Friday" I came up with one of those meals that seems simple but ends up using every pot and pan in the house.

I made Waffles Benedict(and boy is Benedict pissed about my abuse of the name in this recipe)

I made savory herb waffles as my base. I started with gluten free baking mix. The recipe calls for mixing it with oil and water, but I used milk and melted butter. Really, all you need to know this time is that to a standard waffle mixture, I added a tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves and some chopped fresh chives. Then the waffles hit the iron.

I sliced some campari tomatoes drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt. I roasted them 20 minutes at 300 degrees.

My intention was to top the tomatoes and waffles with poached eggs, put a cheese sauce on top of mine, and serve some chicken apple sausage on the side (because we just don't have enough fat in this recipe already). Unfortunately, I ran out of eggs!

So in the end Sir Pickypants got his Waffles Benedict(and boy is Benedict pissed about my abuse of the name in this recipe) as originally intended with the herb waffle topped with the roasted tomato and a traditional poached egg. He turned down the cheese sauce on top.

My camera battery went dead. I never got a photo.

For my own serving, my herb waffle was topped with the tomatoes and the chicken-apple sausage. Then it was drenched in my homemade cheese sauce. Think it had enough fat in it?



This was less Benedict and really more like Welsh Rabbit/Rarebit/Texas Toast on a waffle with tomatoes and sausage. Still awfully tasty.

The cheese sauce was a basic white sauce with cheddar. I made a roux of 2 Tbl butter and 2 Tbl potato starch. I added 1 cup of milk and stirred it all until thick. Then I added lots of shredded cheddar. It got a bit too thick, so I thinned it out with a bit more milk (wishing I had some macaroni to wrap this stuff around) and added a pinch of dry mustard, some grates of nutmeg, and a shake of white pepper.

I had pots and pans a-plenty to clean after this!

6 comments:

bellini valli said...

Wow two recipes to really think about. I love coconut rice since it brings up taste memories of living in Calgary and waffles benedit is certainly a flip on an old favourite!!!

Emily said...

Wow, everything looks good that you made! I love coconutty rice and the mango-ginger chicken sounds great.

The breakfast looks AMAZING.

The Blonde Duck said...

I never thought of waffles benedict. Brilliant!

Sue said...

That waffle idea is to die for. And your coconut rice sounds sooo good.

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - Interesting Calgary reference. The only time I have ever been to Canada was a business trip to Calgary. I didn't have much time to explore. Is coconut rice a very common ethnic dish there? I just remember eating at a lot of steakhouses!

Emily - The mango-ginger sauce is pretty darned good, it was just featured here before. I don't like being repetetive! Add it to the coconut rice and it made for a nice tropical break in my head in November.

And the waffles were actually dinner. A little decadance never hurt anyone. ;-)

Duckie - Why thank you!

Sue - Thanks to you too. I want to make a waffles benedict brunch now!