Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pork, Port, and Pomegranate

I am so lazy. I came up with a new recipe earlier this week and keep neglecting to share it.

This week's inspiration came from my mother's port-ginger cranberry sauce that she makes every Thanksgiving. I love that sauce. I had some fun the last time I made Thanksgiving dinner converting the leftovers into a glaze for pork by thinning it out with red wine.

I wasn't sure what I was thinking when I saw a bottle of pomegranate juice in the store and decided that I just had to make something with it. I wasn't thinking of Mom's cranberry sauce, but once I decided I wanted to have some pork chops for dinner, something clicked in my brain. I thought of making a variation on Mom's sauce, but with pomegranate instead of cranberry.

I simmered the POM juice with port, grated fresh ginger, and a piece of cinnamon stick.

I'm not sure what made me do this, but I pounded a pair of boneless loin chops to half their thickness, coated them with almond flour and sauteed them in butter and olive oil. (Normally I leave my chops thick, brown them on the stove, and finish them in the oven, often with the glaze on top.)

I drizzled my glaze over them and served with some nice creamed spinach.

The sauce was a bit too tart. If I make this again, I will definitely add some honey or agave syrup. In fact, the recipe I'm going to give you includes some sweet. I'm going to start with 2 teaspoons. That's what I would start with if I were making this again and work my way up from there if I still felt it wasn't sweet enough.

Pork with Port-Ginger-Pomegranate Glaze

2-4 boneless loin chops, about 6 oz each, pounded to about half their original thickness
Salt and pepper
Almond flour (or whatever flour you like, but nut flours give a nice flavor dimension) for dredging
2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl olive oiil
1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 cup port wine
2 tsp grated ginger
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 tsp honey or agave syrup

Place juice, port, ginger and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Gently simmer until it becomes thick and syrupy. Do not bring it to a high boil or it will just evaporate away.

Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large frying pan. Brown chops well on both sides, about 5 minutes each.

Serve on a plate, liberally drizzled with pomegranate sauce.

You know what else I made this week?

Don't look at the burger. It's just a turkey burger embellished with sauteed mushrooms, shallots and soy sauce atop roasted tomatoes.

Look at what's next to the burger.

I have opened Pandora's Box and there was a Fry Daddy inside it. This was my first attempt at homemade French fries. It's too bad the Fry Daddy only fries at one temperature because I always wanted to try the double-fry trick where you fry them a second time at a higher temperature. Regardless, these came out pretty good and my husband was asking for me to make turkey burgers and fries again soon.

6 comments:

polwig said...

Love the pomagranite glaze yummy. Seriously Fry Daddy only fries one temp, that's strange no? I hope it is a high temp.

Lo said...

Mmm. Pomegranite, port & ginger. Sounds delicious to me.

And hey -- what's stopping you from trying the double frying method on your fries? I have a feeling it would still work, even if you double fried at the same temp... just gives them a chance to crisp up a bit more on the second go-round.

Emily said...

Good lord those fries look good. I'd take a turkey burger, too.

The pork chops sound good too. Love the idea of a POM glaze.

bellini valli said...

This sauce sounds like something that would marry very well with pork.

Sue said...

What a great idea to pair pomegranate juice with port. I love that idea. That would be a wonderful holiday meal.

The Blonde Duck said...

I want the turkey burger and fries!