Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sufganiyot - Because I Must Fry

You know how I say I never know who is reading my blog? It really is true. I never cease to be surprised when some reference to one of my blogs comes up from someone I had no idea was reading it. Think of the most recent example where my brother-in-law acted upset because I took a photo of his friend’s lamb chops. Who knew?

Earlier this year I posted about making fried chicken and how I finished it in the oven because I always fear that I can’t keep a consistent cooking temperature when I fry on the stovetop. I said that if you want me to fry a chicken the entire way, you’ll have to buy me a temperature-maintaining Fry Daddy and that my birthday was coming up.

Lo and behold, look what Kevin’s cool friends gave me for my birthday this year.



I always thought it would be dangerous to have a Fry Daddy. Owning a Fry Daddy carries the same risk as permanently storing the chamber to my ice cream maker in the freezer. Being able to deep fry something on a moment’s notice is quite the temptation. After all, I once said that my favorite food is, “anything spicy, fried, or chocolate.”

For a while I was just plain in awe of my Fry Daddy. I just wanted to stare at it all the time. Look at my Fry Daddy. I really have a Fry Daddy. Is it really true I have a Fry Daddy? Imagine everything I can do with my Fry Daddy.

Then it all became sort of paralyzing. I sat and thought of everything I could do with my Fry Daddy. I thought of homemade French fries and fried chicken, and fish and chips, and fried candy bars and zeppoli and fried polenta and tempura veggies. The possibilities were endless. That’s when it became paralyzing. What, exactly, was I going to do with this wondrous machine? What would I fry? Besides, eating all of that fried food wasn’t going to do much for my health. A recent visited to the doctor earned me some subtle encouragement about needing to to lose some weight. Unable to come up with an answer, I stuck it in a cabinet and didn’t look at for a while. Whenever I saw my Fry Daddy, it just sort of mocked me. It almost seemed like a case of “Be careful what you wish for.”

Then a few weeks ago Emily made this great post about homemade doughnuts. She had the same wistfulness about deep fryers that I used to have, along with the same misgivings about the dangers of being able to easily fry things. She fried doughnuts the old-fashioned way. I’ve made doughnuts that way too, but wouldn’t it be easier to do them with a Fry Daddy? Don’t I really love doughnuts?

This week the stars aligned and two lucky events coincided. The fist was Hanukah – a holiday known for Sufganiyot. The other is that I was invited to a party where it was my job to bring dessert. What a perfect situation! I could use my Fry Daddy to make homemade Hanukah doughnuts and I could share them at the party, sparing me the shame of eating them all myself.

It’s really neither here nor there that I’m a Shiksa who doesn’t actually observe Hanukah in any real meaningful way.

I used a recipe from Martha Stewart. Doesn't she make you think of Bubbes? No? Oh well.

I normally use the yeast in packets. My local supermarket always carried those little yellow packets. Not anymore. All they had were these weird blocks. It smelled pretty horrid.


Roll out dough that is gently spiced with nutmeg and cut with a cookie cutter.

And FRY!

Roll in sugar and fill with jelly using a pastry bag.

A delicious little pile of doughnuts results. They were a big hit at the party.

Now that I've broken in the Fry Daddy, I'm afraid I really am going to want to use it constantly. How about some more of that gluten-free fried chicken?

12 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I want a fry daddy now. Those donuts look freaking fabulous!!!

bet deep fried shrimp would be delish from there also, coconut fried with a mango dipping sauce.

bellini valli said...

I keep seeing a fryer on TV that uses 2 tablespoons of oil. I must admit I am curious if it can keep up to the Fry Daddy.

Lo said...

We own a fryer, and I must say we used it fairly often when we first got it -- but now we only take it out for special occasions. For instance, it always comes out on New Year's Eve. And every now and again we use it to make French fries.

But, you needn't fear. I think owning a fryer is like working in a candy shop. You stop craving things you can have anytime you want :)

The Blonde Duck said...

Now I want fried chicken.

polwig said...

Yeah for Fry Daddy... you can always fry some vegetables and as long as the temp is high enough the meat should not absorb too much greese... or you can go on high protein (fat) diet like atkins and fry everything :) We get a frier every year for superbowl and after the event my husband never cleans it so we are stuck throwing it out. I guess I could clean it but since I do everything else I used it for laughs and excuse not to buy one next year, it is a large outdoor (cheap one) maybe if we get a indoor one like fry daddy one of us would clean it ;)... the doughnuts look amazing.

CookiePie said...

Ooooh - that is one dangerous piece of equipment! But looks like you used it well :)

Sue said...

I just love the name FRY DADDY! It sounds so hot!

You were smart to break it in with a Martha recipe. Her recipes are usually perfect. And those doughnuts (I never heard of Sufganiyot before) are spectacular! Great job.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I have one and I use it to fry beer battered shrimp once a year at Christmas, it's dangerously good, just like your donuts there!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks all. You have inspired me to realize there is a happy medium and that I can use the new fryer now and then without fear of it snowballing (I think!).

Sue- I do love the name Fry Daddy!

Val - 2 Tablespoons? What would be the point? Don't we love fried food because it's surrounded by fat? ;-)

Peter said...

You owe it to yourself and the Internet to make something that is spicy, fried, AND chocolate. All at the same time.

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

Emily said...

LOVE this post! I'm so jealous of your fryer! I hope I'll get one for Christmas.

These doughnuts look great! What's up with that yeast?