Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Mint Julep Pork - With a Justify Your Subscription Side

After making the mint and aleppo pepper chicken I was stuck with some extra fresh mint. I also had some lovely pork chops from the farmer's market that were begging for a new recipe.

I considered my favorite things to combine with pork. Pork loves strong liquor and sweet things, so I decided to try bourbon and mint - a mint julep marinade. I tend to think of mint as something you add to lamb and not pork, but I did successfully use it in my Slightly Loco Tacos not long ago.

I used a simple marinade of bourbon, fresh mint leaves and brown sugar. The chops were browned and then I added the marinade to the pan to get a glaze going on them.

On the side were potatoes roasted with lemon, dill, and garlic. I probably left them in the oven longer than many would prefer, but I like them dark and brown like this.

There was also Roasted Cauliflower with Goldan Raisins from a recent Food & Wine issue. I really like the addition of balsamic vinegar to roasted cauliflower and I'll be using it more in the future. I used dark raisins because that's what I had in my cabinet. As you can imagine, my husband ate more of them than I did.

Yeah. I know this was a boring post (with a very beige plate), but sometimes it's not really about anything other than the food. The pork chops really were quite tasty!

Mint Julep Pork Chops

2-4 pork shoulder chops
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup neutral flavored oil (I used peanut) plus 1 for frying
1 Tbl chopped fresh mint leaves
2 Tbl brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt

In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients except for pork chops and one Tbl of oil. Place chops and marinade in a plastic bag, seal, and refrigerate at least two hours.

Heat remaining oil in large pan over medium heat. Remove chops from marinade and reserve. Brown chops well on both sides about 2 minutes per side. Add reserved marinade and continue cooking until chops are cooked through (another 5-10 minutes depending on thickness) and are glazed with the mint julep mixture.

6 comments:

bellini valli said...

Pork is really something I need to try more often. Sice moving from the East it is just not as readily available here.

Emily said...

Not boring at all! This looks good. I don't think I've used balsamic to roast cauliflower. I will have to try.

I did use it to roast brussel sprouts. I've decided I don't really like them and I'll probably never buy them again.

The Blonde Duck said...

What kind of dance classes do you do?

polwig said...

Love cooking with alcohol and these look amazing... mint with pork... of course

Sue said...

This is a really interesting recipe.I love mint jelly on meat, so this should be fantastic. And if you don't want to cook meat on a given night, you can also just DRINK the marinade. Yum!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - You have my sympathy. When I go to the farmer's market there are two places I can go for pork and I love them both. I just love pork so much!

Emily - I tried to like brussels sprouts too but couldnt' get into them. At least I can say I tried. There was a time when I wouldn't have.

Pol - TY. Alcohol is a great flavor carrier.

Sue - Bourbon is one of those liquors I love to cook with but don't like to drink (along with port, sherry, and brandy). No danger of me drinking the marinade and being the drunk cook who serves boring pork chops. :-)