Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What To Do with Leftovers

I had leftover lime and cilantro from the Laotian laap.

I had leftover tortillas from the duck tacos.

I had poblano peppers leftover from I don't remember what.

I also made a ridiculous amount of chicken stock last week that was taking up room in my freezer.

What do I do next?

The answer was simple – Tortilla Soup!

When I researched recipes for tortilla soup I found many many ways of making it. The few common elements seem to be chicken stock, hot peppers, cilantro, lime, and, of course, the tortilla strips.

I made mine with chicken stock, garlic, poblano peppers, tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, chili powder and lime. It was definitely a sinus-clearning soup. For my tortilla strips instead of frying them, I tossed them with olive oil and baked them in the oven over high heat. They were nice and crispy this way, but not super greasy.

Boring post, but a good soup. Comfort food on a winter's night with a spicy kick.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 Tbl oil for sauteing
1 poblano pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ancho chili powder
1 quart chicken stock
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked chicken meat, diced
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful chopped cilantro
6 corn tortillas
Oil for brushing over the tortillas (I used olive because it was in easy reach, but you may want to use something more neutral flavor)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush tortillas with oil and cut into strips. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes or until crispy. (13 minutes worked well in my oven.)

Heat oil in a large pot. Add poblanos and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the ancho chili powder until it is very fragrant.

Add stock, tomatoes and chicken. Simmer 30 minutes.

Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Ladle into bowls and top with tortilla strips.

12 comments:

Transport Bulgaria said...

If i do not put chili, it will be good? I can`t eat chili, so this can be a problem. Do you have any advice with what i can replace the chili? Thanks a lot.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure it would be good, but likely wouldn't be as spicy.

Maybe instead of sauteeing peppers and garlic try onions and garlic and instead of chili powder and cumin try cumin and oregano or maybe some ground coriander, even a little cinnamon might be interesting.

cookiepie said...

That looks fantastic - I wish I had a bowl right now!! Love that you used up your leftovers to make it too - that's always a great feeling!

Katie said...

Never thought of tortilla soup - and there are always the odd few left in a package. Great idea! (I, also, would use a milder pepper LOL)

Emily said...

Not boring! The soup sounds good. Tortilla soup is probably my most favorite in the world.

Sue said...

You are so good to use all those things to make something so delicious and not to just let them rot like some people I know...okay me!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh, yum yum!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Cookie - A couple of years ago I challenged myself to use up as much of the leftover odds and ends in the kitchen as possible. I had all kinds of rice and grains and nuts. It really does feel good to use and not waste.

Katie - I would not judge you if you used milder pepper! Not everyone wants to clear their sinuses with soup.

Emily - Awesome. Love knowing I made someone's favorite.

Sue - Your confession was truly brave. ;-)

polwig said...

Those are some really nice and interesting leftovers to have... I have never made tortilla soup, looks amazing

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Tuesday!

The Duo Dishes said...

It's not boring at all. You've reminded us that things shouldn't go to waste. And that's great! More soup please.

Sophia said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe, one favorite of the whole family. I'll try this over the weekend!