Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Bringing Back Casual Friday

You know these kinds of posts. It's Friday night. I'm home to cook, but I want a nice, easy leisurely dinner with no complex recipes.
What was on tap this Friday?

Remember that homemade pesto from my "garden" that I froze last fall? Well it seems I promptly forgot about it. I decided it was time to trot it out.

I defrosted 6 cubes of frozen pesto and then added them to some cream for a pesto cream sauce (I never said "Lowfat Friday").

I added some  thawed frozen broccoli (that vegetable guilt) as well as some roasted cherry tomatoes.  Roasting cherry tomatoes makes them way more palatable this time of year when good tomatoes are a distant dream.  Oddly enough, brilliant blogger Bellini Valli had the same idea recently (and I refer you to her blog for directions on how to do it).  Lastly I tossed it with gnocchi. Yes, they were frozen gnocchi and not homemade. I just said it was Casual Friday.

Comfort food perfection and so easy!

7 comments:

bellini valli said...

All I need is broccoli because everything else is ready and waiting in my freezer.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've been obsessed with using stuff out of the freezer recently.

Sue said...

Roasted little tomatoes are the best. I often throw them in with green beans or broccoli when I'm roasting those in the oven.

I've never added cream to my pesto, but I should. I will definitely try that.

Lo said...

Oh, yeah. This is the sort of Friday comfort food I love. Great call on the gnocchi! And don't you just love the spring freezer clean-out when you find all those jewels from last summer/fall?

*sigh* Can't wait until I don't have to roast the tomatoes to make them palatable :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I like the PB and honey treats better than the regular ones! They're not as sticky and they have so much flavor--esp. if you add chocolate/ pb/ butterscotch chips!

Emily said...

Oh goodness! This looks incredible! I definitely need to try your pesto trick.

Shana said...

A great addition to my collection. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait ti try this especially for my family.