Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Inspiration in the Refrigerator

It's Friday night and I didn't know what to cook.  I already had in the fridge some old leftover wine, some fresh thyme, and some garlic.  I decided to just go with it.   I bought some chicken and some mushrooms and made a recipe so easy that I don't even need a recipe.

Dredge boneless, skinless thighs in flour (I used almond flour here) and cook in olive oil.

Mince 4 cloves of  garlic and add that to the pan with some sliced mushrooms and fresh thyme (a tablespoon maybe?).

Deglaze pan with 1 cup of white wine.  Reduce down a minute.  Add a pat of butter.

Pour over chicken.

It's not a particularly special recipe, but goes to show you that you can easily cook dinner if you get creative with what you have in the house.  It was a perfect "Casual Friday" meal.

Then there was breakfast.

I didn't eat all of those tomatoes in sherry sauce from earlier in the week and didn't know what to do with them.  I had served some broccoli on the side that night as well and some of that was left over too.

I chopped the broccoli into little bits and warmed it in a pan with the tomatoes and some pancetta chunks.  Two fried eggs went on top. 


Eggs on tomato-broccoli hash!

I was expecting this to be a throwaway dish, but it turned out to be really delicious.  Somehow all of the flavors worked really well together.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Oooh both dishes sound great. I really like the hash, though.

bellini said...

I always find that I heading to the store so I love it when I can use what I already have in the fridge.

Catherine said...

So pleasing to the eyes and definitely pleasing to taste. Love it!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

almond flour on the chicken thighs? Now that's something I wouldn't have expected but I'll bet it tastes great.

polwig said...

YUMMY... this casual friday does not look so casual, more like gourmet

Sue said...

I would eat practically anything with fried eggs on top!

I like that you used boneless chicken thighs. It's amazing how quickly they cook and how much flavor you can get from them.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Emily - I agree it was pretty spectacular.

Val - I also hate wasting food, so if I can find a use for what's there, it makes me so happy.

Catherine - Thanks for stopping by.

CC Linda - Thanks for stopping by. I've been cutting the gluten so almond flour has become a real standby for me. The coating isn't as smooth as if would be if I used flour, but the flavor is just that much better.

Pol - *Blush* Thanks.

Sue - I should put that fried egg theory to the test. ;-)

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so curious about breakfast hashs!

Lo said...

You really are the master of off-the-cuff cooking, which I admire. We're big on using up what we have on hand, rather than spending more money on new things. And I think it really sparks creativity in cooking.

katiez said...

Someone else in cooking limbo... I think it's the in-between seasons... But that looks amazingly good for a last minute / what to cook dinner.