Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Do You Think Maybe I Should Cook Something?

Yeah.  I know.  Long time no post.  I'm sure folks were thrilled to see nothing but a post about a fairly commonplace Easter brunch up there for a week. 

Well, my life continues to be rather busy and I'm spending less time in the kitchen.  I confess I still depend a bit on takeout and dining out and stretching the one or two easy meals I cook out over a couple of days.  I wish I had more to blog about.  I have bounced around a few non-recipe topics in my head, but haven't had much chance to sit down and write them out.

I decided this was getting silly.  I had to cook something new.  It wasn't just for this blog.  It was to keep the cooking part of my brain from growing soft.

I decided to make some soup to carry to lunch during the week.  Soup is easy and allows for lots of creativity.

I decided on a little variation on sweet potato soup.  One of my favorite recipes is an Asian version filled with coconut milk and ginger.  This soup went south of the border with flavors.

 First I roasted and peeled my sweet 'taters.


I sauteed an onion with cumin, ancho chile powder, and my beloved chipotle powder.


Potato chunks went in and simmered a bit in chicken stock.  I suppose the politically correct thing to do would be to use vegetable stock, making this soup totally vegan.  I didn't do that because I had a nice quart of homemade chicken stock in my freezer and I wanted to use it.


Besides, chicken stock just tastes better.

Then I pureed it all and added a can of black beans and a bag of frozen corn. 

Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and you're good to to.



I wasn't in love with the starchy texture of the soup, but the flavor was pretty good. 

Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Corn Soup

2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
2 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbl chipotle powder
1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1lb bag of frozen corn kernels
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish

Heat oven for 400 degrees.  Spray the potato chunks with cooking spray and roast on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes, or until soft.

In a large pot, saute the onions in olive oil.  Add the chili powders and cumin and stir to coat the onions.  Add the garlic and cook another minute or two.

Add the potatoes and stock to the pot.  Simmer about 20 minutes or until they start to really break down.  You can transfer this to a blender or food processor and puree in batches, or you can use a stick blender.  Either way, blend until smooth.

Stir in corn kernels and black beans and cook until corn is heated through.  Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy.

5 comments:

bellini said...

With this very un-Spring like weather soup is welcome!!!!!

Sue said...

That soup sounds incredibly delicious. And with all those great ingredients, it's really good for you too.

Maria said...

wow!another perfect recipe comin from you and another addision to my my favourite list. looks so creamy delicious!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Val - Tell me about the weather! I thought spring was finally here with the weather this past weekend and we're back to rain and chill and a strong need for hearty soups and stews. As SPP put it, NY is the new Minneapolis.

Sue - Yes, I did make something good for me. Occasionally I get tht right. ;-)

The Duo Dishes said...

Maybe you can leave the potatoes whole next time, so you get chunks without starchy consistency. Honestly, it looks creamy and very filling, which is nice from a healthier potato. Looks good!