Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What Else Can I Do with Pork?

I was craving pork tenderloin.  I had to have pork tenderloin.  There was a deep-seated feeling in my soul that cried out for pork tenderloin and assured me that life as I knew it would end if I didn't have pork tenderloin.   I knew that the next time I made dinner, it would have to be pork tenderloin. 

Unfortunately, the store was out of pork tenderloin.

How about some really big thick pork loin chops?



So I'm cool with this, but the next question is, "What do I do with them?"

Such is the life of a food blogger.  If you want to stay relevant, you have to keep it fresh.  If I was going to make pork chops, I was going to blog about it. If I was going to blog about it, I had better make a pork dish that wasn't the same old pork dish.  Otherwise, why would anyone want to read my blog?

I had made pork with oranges, with limes and oranges, with mangoes in two ways.  I had made it with port (and pomegranate), and brandy, and sherry, and bourbon and more bourbon as well as stuffed with sausage.  What else was left?  What could I do with pork that I had never done before that would be totally TERP-worthy?

I first considered fruit.  Did I want it fruit-flavored, and if so, what fruit?

I never made pork with raspberries before.



Next I started raiding the cabinets again.  I needed something more than just raspberries.  What would go with them?



Limes!  Chipotle!  Raspberry vinegar!

Sear in a pan.


Glaze.



Finish in the oven and serve!



Inspiration is saved once more.

The pork tasted of fresh fruit and lots of spice with just enough burn on the throat.  I would consider putting this sauce on chicken as well.  I lost a bit of sauce when I cut the meat off the bone for presentation though.  Next time I put a big sloppy chop on the plate!  I would also reserve a little glaze before glazing the chops to drizzle over this.

Sir Pickypants did not go hungry.  I had the chipotle and limes, so I took a cue from the other Kevin over at Closet Cooking who had a good recipe for fish tacos using lime and chipotle.  I didn't bother with the taco part.  Just made some nice spicy fish.

Asparagus seems a little atypical for the flavors, but it's local.  I thought I'd be a little PC.

Raspberry Lime and Chipotle Pork Chops

2-4 thick pork chops, about 12 oz. each
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 cup raspberry balsamic vinegar
Juice and zest of one lime
1 tsp honey
1 tsp chipotle powder.

Heat over to 400 degrees.

Puree berries in a blender until they are very smooth.  Press puree through a sieve to remove seeds.  In a small saucepan combine puree, vinegar, lime juice, zest, honey and chipotle powder.  Bring to a boin and reduce to a simmer.  Simmer 20 minutes or until nice and thick like a barbecue sauce.

Sprinkle chops liberally with salt and pepper.  Brown them well on each side in a hot, ovenproof pan. 

Remove from heat and cover them with the raspberry sauce.  Place pan in the oven and roast an additional 10 minutes (less if your chops are not so thick).

10 comments:

Sue said...

I was really hoping there would be some vinegar in there and there was! Sounds really good. And it's a lucky thing you had them before the weather turned brutally hot.

Jonny said...

this is pretty ingenious and I would never have though to pair the raspberry with the chipotle. we made pork chops just last night, coincidentally, a recipe we hadn't tried before either. i'm firmly of the opinion that there are no bad pork chop recipes and I have added this one to my growing list of possibilities.

The Blonde Duck said...

Pork tacos!

Lo said...

I have to chuckle. Inspiration always saves you, my dear! You should come to expect it.

It's uncanny that you discuss pork, since I just spent my weekend learning to butcher pig

polwig said...

That sounds amazing... pork and raspberries...spicy... great job

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a magical Monday!

Have you tried speghetti squash? That's gluten free.

The Blonde Duck said...

Did you ever get to go swimming?

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you get to go swimming soon! I've become addicted!

Emily said...

Yes, yes, yes! I love this idea.

I've never tried it, but did you know they make raspberry-chipotle bbq sauce?

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Em - There is a store near me that sells a raspberry-chipotle "sauce" that is sold as a sort of multi-purpose sauce. It's food for grilled meats, but also is nice on top of cheese. It's a bit heavy though. My sauce was a bit fresher and less sweet.