Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

So What Have I Been Cooking? A Roundup

Summer is a time I think of as leisurely where I have ample time to bake (remember Sweet Treat of the Week) as well as dream up new recipes and blog about them to my heart's content, while reading everyone else's blog and stealing borrowing their ideas.

This summer has been different.  It's flying by without a chance for me to stop and breathe.  Yes, I've been cooking, but I haven't had much time to talk about it.  I haven't had much time to read all of the wonderful blogs that inspire me so much either.

Rather than center a blog around one recipe as I often do, I'm going to share everything I have cooked recently.  Most of it is simple. 

First I made a "quiche" with a pototo crust.  I started by making a crust of shredded potatoes, an egg, and some olive oil.  I piled it into a pie pan and baked it partially.


I cooked some bits of smoked turkey tails (bacon, ham, pancetta, or no meat at all would be just fine) until well-rendered.


I cooked some onions, mushrooms, and peppers in the grease.
 
Next I mixed eggs with some cream and the veggies and baked it all up.


This was somewhat inspired by Heather's post about an Egg and Tater Tot casserole.  I wanted to play with egg dishes beyond my usual Friday Night Frittata.  Since the hubby loves potoates, I thought I would find fun ways to incorporate.



This tasted more like a kugel than a quiche since it was very heavy on the potatoes.  Still pretty good though.  A winner on the husband's side anyway.

Potato-Crusted Quiche

Crust
  • 3 cups shredded potatoes
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I like my potatoes salty)
Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together and mound carefully into a pie plate in a piecrust-like shape with the sides mounded higher.

Cook 20 minutes or until golden.  Set aside.

Filling
  • 1 smoked turkey tail cut into small pieces (or your preferred amounts of bacon, ham, sausage, pancetta, etc.) (Optional if you're vegetarian)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 10 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • Oil for sauteeting (If you're not using a meat that will render out some cooking fat)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of heavy cream
  • Few grates nutmeg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.

Cook turkey meat until crisp and fat is rendered out.  Set aside.

Cook onions until soft.  Add mushrooms until they are soft and giving up their liquid.  Then add peppers and cook until just beginning to soften.  Set aside.

Mix together eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Add the veggie mixture and the smoked turkey.  Blend well and pour into crust. 

Bake about 25 minutes or until eggs are set.

Next...

I bought a chicken at the farm market, but it was so small.  It wasn't the kind of chicken I felt would satisfy me if I just roasted it as is.  I decided to cook it so it was richer and more substanial.

I hacked it up (and I do mean hack - talk about not honoring the protein) and cooked it in a sauce of cream, leeks and wine.  It was a very simple dish, but sometimes simple flavors are the best ones.

Chicken in Creamy Leek Sauce

  • 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 leek, cleaned and cut into 1" slices
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Saute chicken in olive oil until browned well on both sides, about 5-7 minutes per side.  Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add leeks to pan and cook until soft.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.

Add chicken to the pan, skin side down.  Pour in wine and stock.  Simmer gentle about 25 minutes or until cooked through.

Remove chicken from pan.  Add cream and cook another two minutes until reduced a bit more.  Pour sauce over chicken and serve.



Next...

I always thought this blog was all about chicken.  Do I present too many chicken recipes?

I went through my labels and found I have cooked way more pork dishes on this blog than chicken dishes.  Keeping that in mind, I don't feel so bad that I'm bringing up so many chicken dishes in one post.  This was me making a simple meal out of what I had growing in the garden mixed with one of my favorite cuts of meat - chicken thighs.

I still had a lot of potatoes left over from the big bag I bought when I made the quiche.  That's why mashed potatoes were my accompaniment.  I suppose roasted potatoes would have been more appropriate, but these potatoes were starchy ones and starchy potatoes need to be mashed or fried in my opinion. 

Basil, Mint, and Lemon Chicken Thighs
  • 8 leaves chopped, fresh basil
  • 6 leaves chopped fresh mint
  • 1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Two pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Mix together all ingredients except for chicken. 

Marinate chicken in this mixture for about an hour. 

Cook chicken in your preferred method.  Grill would be great, but if you, like me, can't grill, saute`about 8 minutes per side in a frying pan.

3 comments:

bellini said...

It looks like it has been a good week!!!

polwig said...

Lovely round up... hubby must be happy since he gets fed pretty well. Love the chicken dishes. On a side note you are missing amt of cream in ingredients in second recipe.

Sue said...

Rach,
This is way too much good food in one post. I had forgotten about potato crusts. They are such a great idea. And any frittata type filling would be good. How could those chicken dishes be bad? It sounds like a yummy week.