Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Temporary Cookie Satisfaction

The problem of being on a sugar fast is that sometimes you just want some sweets.  You feel as if you would kill your own uncle for a cookie.  (Killing your mother would be too extreme for a cookie, but uncle would probably be okay.) 

One afternoon last week someone brought a box of store-bought gluten-free cookies to the office.  They were chocolate pecan and they were tempting.  I took a look at the box and saw that they were meringue cookies.  If it hadn't been for the sugar, I would have considered taking one.  I know that meringue cookies, when done in a certain way, can be chewy rather than crispy, which would make them a bit more like traditional cookies.  How could I make a similar cookie without sugar? 

I thought about chocolate meringue cookies mixed with fruit purees.  Fruit is sweet!  Maybe I could do something with a fruit puree.

Inspiration came.  How about bananas?  Bananas are very sweet when very ripe and go beautifully with chocolate.

I wasn't sure how it would work.  I have made chewy meringue cookies with peanut butter in the past.  Could the same be done with bananas? 

I started with whipping 4 eggs whites till nice and stiff. 

I mixed banana pulp with cocoa powder.  I used a very ripe banana hoping it would be sweet enough, but sadly it wasn't.  I had to break my sugar fast just a bit and added a tablespoon of agave syrup.

I baked them at 300 degrees for 40 minutes and hoped for the best. 



Hard to make a really pretty photo out of them, but here they are.  I was eating them as soon as they were cool enough to come off the sheet.  They weren't terribly sweet, but had nice subtle chocolate and banana flavor.  The texture was very light, but not chewy or crispy.  It was more like a very light delicate sponge cake.  I could eat a few of them guilt-free because I knew all I was eating was four egg whites and one banana - hardly a caloric overload.

Banana Chocolate Mergingue Cookies

Ingredients
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed into a smooth pulp
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbl agave syrup
Heat oven to 300 degrees. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Whip egg whites until stiff. 

Mix together banana, cocoa, and agave syrup together until well combined.  Gently fold into egg whites until well combined.

Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared sheet.  This should make about 12-14 cookies.

Bake 40 minutes or until they look set and dry.

2 comments:

katiez said...

How very creative of you! I would have just settled for a square of chocolate.....

bellini said...

Now there's a way to satisfy a sweet tooth. Very creative!!