Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A New Take on Blueberries (Yay! I'm blogging)

I was so prolific a couple of weeks ago and then went back to dead silence.  I never even bothered to post my cookie recipe for the cookies I made Labor Day Weekend (twist my arm and I still might) or show the creative egg variations I made for breakfast and dinner the following week . There is no excuse for it either.  I used to say I wanted to publish at least one blog a week on my other blog to keep my writing fresh.  I haven't done that either even though I have 3 blogs I want to write.  Make that two.  One is already written and I'm too lazy to publish it!

I probably haven't stopped much by your blogs either, dear Muffins.  I'm sorry about that too.  I have swooped by some of the ones on my follow feed, but haven't visited many others.  I truly am a bit Disordered, no?

I have been suffering a bit from the Food Bloggers Curse.  No new recipes have crossed my path or my head.  It's hard to write a blog when you have nothing to blog about.  (What do you mean, "What about those cookies?")  I did finally hit some inspiration this week and now I can share with you the fruits (yes, I suppose there is a pun in there) of my labor.

I have had a glut of blueberries in the kitchen lately.  I keep wanting to buy them every time I'm at the farmer's market.  I feel like I have to keep buying and buying while they are still there and still fresh.  (I feel the same way about tomatoes and keep having marinara-making nights as well.)  I make a lot of breakfast smoothies, but it was time to figure out some other uses for them.

It's not unheard of to put blueberries in a savory dish, but it's not all that common.  While raspberries, cranberries, and blackberries often seem to make their way into many a savory recipe, the sweeter berries like strawberries and blueberries are often ignored.  That has been changing in recent years, but it's still not as common.

I decided to put my blueberries to use in a glaze for a roast chicken.  I would temper the sweetness with balsamic vinear (ever since the Pioneer Woman show debuted, I have this uncontrollable urge to say bal-SAM-ic) and add some rosemary then finish it off with butter and see what would happen. 
The free-range chickens in the store were rather small, so I decided to buy two.  I cut out the backbones (hee hee -spatchcock!) and prepared them the way I often prepared game hens.  I browned them in a pan before glazing and finishing in the oven.




I know the photo, despite the use of the light box, isn't really indicative of anything.  It looks like every other roast chicken I've ever made, but let me tell you, this recipe was fantastic.  The combination of blueberries and rosemary was just out of this world. 

Like the beans?  They're long beans that I saw at the farmer's market over the weekend and couldn't resist buying.  They had an interesting flavor, but I wasn't crazy about their toughness and starchy texture.  At the market they said to saute` them or braise them.  I braised them with some stock, a little red wine, and crushed clove of garlic.  I braised the heck out of them and they were still a bit tough.  I probably won't buy them again, but I will check out this one particular vendor again.  He had all sorts of intriguiging veggies that I think I should try.

Roast Chicken with Blueberry-Balsamic Glaze

Ingredients
  • 2 2-3 lb chickens
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 Tbl butter
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the backbones from the chickens by cutting up and down both sides of the spine with kitchen shears.  Press on breastbone to flatten.  Set aside.  (Don't forget to save your backbones for making chicken stock in the future.)

Puree` the blueberries.  Press them through a sieve into a bowl to remove the skins.  Place the puree` and the vinegar in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and add the rosemary.  Simmer until reduced and thick.  Stir in the butter.

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saute` pan,  Sprinkle the chickens with salt and pepper and place them skin-side-down in the hot oil.  Brown well.  You should be able to lift the chicken off the bottom off the pan easily when it's ready.  Flip and brown the other side lightly.

Place the chickens on a large, rimmed cookie sheet.  Brush generously with blueberry sauce.  Roast for an additional 45 minutes.  Allow to sit 10 minutes before carving.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I know the feeling of taking an unscheduled blogging break. But sometimes it's okay to step away from the computer.

I love adding balsamic vinegar to fruit, especially berries. It would be yummy with some red rice.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love blueberries, even if they're so expensive here. I'm just glad you still post! :)

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious.