Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

You Didn't Ask, but I'll Post Anyway

I was surprised no one asked me for the cookie recipe.  I was wondering if folks are boycotting my blog.  Where is everyone?  Did I offend everyone with my Food Network and Pioneer Woman posts?
Okay.  I'm a big whiner.  I got it out of my system.  Now I'll give you the cookie recipe 3 weeks after I made them.
About 20 years ago my mother started acquring these fund-raising cookbooks by MADD.  One of the ones in the series was nothing but cookie recipes.  I discovered a pumpkin cookie recipe in that book that actually makes eating something as gross as pumpkin almost tolerable.  There was also a really delicious double chocolate chip cookie recipe.

The chocolate cookie recipe was like no other one I had seen before.  The base of the cookie was made with instant chocolate pudding mix.  This made for a very moist cookie and a very simple recipe.  I made these cookies constantly in the dorms in college because they didn't require too many ingredients or too much time.

There is a world of cookies to be made though and so many good recipes to try.  Eventually I dropped the pudding cookie recipe in favor or other cookie recipe made with more natural ingredients.  Still, when I left home for my own place years later, Mom sent all of her MADD cookbooks with me.  She never used them, but she knew I did.

Now it seems everything old is new again.  Pudding cookies seem to be all the rage in the blogsphere.  Everyone seemed to be making them.  Who knew that a recipe I made 20 years ago would become fashionable?  I pulled that MADD cookbook off the shelf and decided to resurrect them.

Once I made the decision to try making them again, I considered doing variatoins.  Instead of double chocolate,  I would try other flavors of pudding and other types of chips. 

I made two variations.  I made a chocolate chip cookie with vanilla pudding.  I wanted to make a butterscotch cookie with toffee chips, but I could only find fat-free/sugar-free pudding butterscotch in the store.  Instant pudding is scary enough without having to add more mysterious ingredients to make it fat free and sugar free.  I opted for banana pudding and peanut butter chips.

The cookies were pretty good.  I didn't think the vanilla ones tasted radically different from regular chocolate chip cookies..  The banana flavor could have been stronger in the banana cookies and the artificial flavor was defintely a bit artificial.  I am also starting to notice that peanut butter chips taste very strongly of the hydrogenated fats used to make peanut butter stay in sold chip form.  Just as I remembered, the pudding gives the cookies a wonderful texture!

I apologize for the lack of photos.  Just forgot to take any.

Pudding Cookies

Ingredients
  • 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix*
  • 2 sticks butter at room temp
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 12 oz. chocolate chips*
Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Sift together flour, pudding mix, and baking soda.

Beat butter in a large mixing bowl until creamy.  Beat in sugar until fluffy.  Then beat in eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.  Gradually beat in flour/pudding mixture.  Carefully stir in the chips.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes or until the begin to look dry.

*For Banana-PB cookies use banana pudding and peanut butter chips.

Here are some other things I have cooked, but haven't posted.

Here is a great veggie variation on Eggs Benedict.  I started with a roasted portobello mushroom cap.  I put down a slice of proscuitto (optional) and some spinach sauteed with garlic.  I topped it with a poached eggs and then finished the whole thing off with a sauce made of pureed roasted peppers, olive oil, basil, and a little white wine vinegar.  (Yes, I totally stole the idea from Cook Yourself Thin.)

Another egg dish:  This one is my take on Huevos Rancheros.  I fried a corn tortilla (as in stuck it in the Fry Daddy - it was gooooooood).  Then I added some homemade salsa made from farm market tomatoes that I mixed with black beans.  A fried egg and some avocado slices went on top.

Mid-Week Asian, a chicken and hot pepper stir fry.  Here I cut up some boneless, skinless chicken thighs and tossed them with  soy sauce, orange juice, a little orange zest, ginger, and garlic, onions, cashews and these gorgeous multicolored local peppers.

5 comments:

bellini said...

Thanks for sharing these great cookie recipes. As for comments I think everyone is out enjoying what is left of the summer.

The Duo Dishes said...

Definitely trying these cookies very soon. The variations are endless! You started the trend. :) Oh, and huevos rancheros is always good, especially with a bit of chorizo/soyrizo on top.

The Blonde Duck said...

I didn't ask because Ben's got 7 more lbs. to lose and chocolate chip is his favorite.

Emily said...

I didn't ask because I've been sucking on my blog reading and commenting. I have no excuse.

The cookies look good. I'll have to try making a pudding cookie sometime. Think of all of the flavors you could make!

Love the huevos rancheros. Mmm.

Emily said...

dI didn't ask because I've been sucking on my blog reading and commenting. I have no excuse.

The cookies look good. I'll have to try making a pudding cookie sometime. Think of all of the flavors you could make!

Love the huevos rancheros. Mmm.