Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

One Last Dish Before I Go

My mind is completely and utterly focused on vacation right now.  Even before I leave for vacation I need to go out and celebrate 10 years of the Pickypants-(dis)Order alliance.  This is a big one.  We plan to go to the same restaurant where we celebrated number 7

So we go out on Thursday and leave for vacation on Friday, but we still have to eat the rest of the week.  That means I have to cook - or I suppose I should say that I should cook.  But what?  My brain is just too full to think of meals to make.

I went to the store and saw some pork tenderloins on sale.  I decided to grab one since they're one of my favorite meats.  I really didn't know what I wanted to do with them.  I bought some mushrooms.  I bought some onions.  I figured when it came time to cook I would know what to do with it all.

When it came time to cook and I started improvising, I wasn't intending to make a TERP-worthy recipe, but that's exactly what I did.  My pork dish ended up being so good I had to share it.

I started by coating the outside of the tenderloin with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme and searing it in a pan. I set it aside.



I cooked up some mushrooms, onions and garlic.  This is where it got interesting.  I decided to add some brandy, and also the cherry preserves I had left over from making the cherry-cream-cheese brownies over the weekend. 

I don't know why I prepared the pork this way, but I cut up the seared tenderloin and cooked the slices in the musrhoom mixture.  I really should have cut them into slices first before searing it all, or just cooked the tenderloin whole.  Not sure the texture of the meat was the best it could have been cooking it the way I did.  I also think I cooked it a bit too long though.



This is such a simple weeknight supper.  I was so surprised at how something I came up with on the fly when I'm totally distracted with other events could taste so good.  Make sure to use unsweetened cherry preserves with this.  I worried the dish might be too sweet and it wouldn't work against the mushrooms, but it wasn't.  This dish doesn't need any sugar though, so keep the cherries sugar-free.

Weeknight Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients

  •  1 pork tenderloin
  • 1 Tbl fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tsp salt, divided
  • Few grinds black pepper
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 onion, cut in medium dice
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 5 sage leaves
  • 1/2 cup brandy
  • 1/2 cup cherry preserves
  • 5 fresh sage leaves
Roll the tenderloin in the salt, pepper, and thyme to coat it evenly.  Brown on all sides in a hot pan.  Set aside.

Lower the heat and add the olive oil to the pan.  Add the onions and the salt and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and cook another minute or two more until fragrant.  Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently until soft and browned. 

Mix together the brandy and the cherry preserves with the sage leaves.  Add to pan with mushrooms and onions and cook on medium-high heat for a minute or two.  Slice the tenderloin into thick slices and bring the sauce to a low simmer.  Cook an additional 10 minutes or until tenderloin slices are cooked through.

4 comments:

bellini said...

Happy anniversary guys and have a wonderful vacation!!!!

Sue said...

Have the greatest time ever! Travel safe!

Emily said...

Mmm. I love cherry preserves. I bet the pork + the cherry + the shrooms and sage was awesome. Have a good vacation!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a wonderful vacation!