Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

I Can Tell You How to Get to Sesame Street

Well, my version of it anyway.

I'm infamous for not checking the cabinets before I go shopping, which means I end up having to run to the store in the middle of preparing a recipe to procure the neglected ingredient, or else I have multiple containers of the same food.

This happened to me last week after making the mole chicken. I bought sesame seeds before realizing I had nearly a full container of them in the freezer.  What does one do with them?

How about sesame chicken?  Who doesn't love chicken coated in sesame seeds?  If you don't, please don't answer that question. 

I had also bought these cute little satsuma oranges.  I had hoped to find a nice recipe for them.  How about making them into a sauce for the chicken? 


I started my recipe with boneless, skinless thighs and used the sesame seeds in a traditional breading.  I floured them (I used coconut flour, which gave another dimension of flavor - very paleo), dipped them in egg wash, and then coated them in the sesame seeds.  Sesame seeds stick nicely to chicken.  They're a much more cooperative coating than nuts.

I cooked them in the oven because cooking stuff like that in a frying pan makes me worry that I'll burn the nut coating before the insides are cooked, or else the already naturally oily coating will get greasy because it's cooked in more oil.  Ovens are our friend.

I sauteed some shallots in coconut oil and then added the orange sections and just let them soften a bit.  Then I added a little soy sauce, some grated rind, and some five-spice powder.

Serve it on top of the chicken.  The sauce has a bit of a bitter twang to it and I'm not sure how to deal with that, but otherwise it was nice - like a savory Asian marmalade that went well with the chicken, which was a little flat tasting.  I wonder if I should have toasted the sesame seeds first.

Feel free to use whatever flour you want for the dredging and use another oil for the sauteeing.  I just liked experimenting with the coconut.

Sesame-Crusted Chicken with 5 Spice Satsuma Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts if you prefer)
  • Approximately 1 cup coconut flour for dredging
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 cups sesame seeds
  • 8 satsuma oranges, peeled and sectioned
  • 2 Tbl coconut oil
  • 2 minced shallots
  • 1 tsp grated satsuma zest
  • 1 tsp 5 spice powder
  • 2 Tbl gluten-free soy sauce
Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Set up your breading station.  Toss flour with salt and pepper in one dish.  Beat eggs lightly in the second.  Place your seeds in the third.  Dip your chicken thighs in the flour, then the egg, then the sesame seeds, making sure they are well-coated. 

Lay chicken on a cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes.  Halfway through the cooking, turn them over so they crisp up evenly.

Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a large pan and add the shallots and cook until softened.  Add the orange slices and cook until they begin to soften, but not lose their shape.  Add the soy sauce, zest, and 5 spice powder.  Stir well to get all of the oranges coated and cook until the oranges begin to fall apart. 

Serve sauce over chicken.

3 comments:

bellini said...

I adore sesame chicken but have never grid it at home!!

Emily said...

Sounds pretty good to me! Great minds think alike. :) I made sesame chicken the other night too.

I love orange chicken as well, so this sounds great. At least baking made it healthier, right?

The Blonde Duck said...

This is so cool!