Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yet Another Cauliflower Soup Recipe

Is it just me or  bloggers making cauliflower soup a lot these days?  Nothing wrong with that of course.  Cauliflower is available in the farmer's markets this time of year, it's good for you, and while it's not the worst vegetable in the world, it could use some help in the taste department.

I needed something for lunch this week, so I decided to join the cauliflower soup party.  What could I bring to the party that hadn't been brought before?

I started by roasting the cauliflower until it got those brown edges that I love so much.


Next I sauteed an onion in a little olive oil (I was tempted to use butter but my arteries voted no).  I added a mix of spices to the pot: coriander, cinnamon, tumeric, ginger, and cardamon.



Then I tossed in the cauliflower to make sure it took on all of those spices and turned a pretty yellow color. I added a quart of chicken stock.


After 30 minutes of cooking and getting nice and integrated, I added my secret ingredient.

Coconut milk added flavor and a nice rich creaminess that went well with my spice blend.

I pureed with the stick blender and there was my lunch.

I would love to have a photo of a steaming bowl of the finished product, but I made this soup in the evening, put it away, and packed it up for lunch the next day.  Sorry about that.  It's not the prettiest shade of yellow, but it was definitely creamy and flavorful.  This can easily be made vegetarian, but I prefer to use chicken stock because I like the extra flavor it gives and I find it physically more satisfying.

A coworker saw it and said it looked good.  I told him he could have it for five bucks.

Roasted Cauliflower Curry and Coconut Soup (how alliterative!)

Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut in small florets
  • Olive oil for tossing
  • Salt
  • 2 Tbl olive oil for sauteeing
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cardamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you prefer)
  • 1 can coconut milk
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cauliflower in olive oil and spread out on a cookie sheet.  Roast for about 20 minutes, occasionaly taking them about and giving them a toss so they brown all over.

Heat remaining olive oil in a stock pot.  Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.  Add all of the spices and cook until everything is very fragrant.  Add the roasted cauliflower to the pot and toss with the onions to coat them with the spices.

Add the stock to the pot.  Simmer everything for 30 minutes. 

Pour in the coconut milk and blend the soup either in a blender or food processor or with an immersion blender until smooth.  Season with salt to taste.

3 comments:

bellini said...

Roasting the cauliflower would give this sup an unexpected depth of flavour.

The Blonde Duck said...

I just saw cauliflower with cheese!

Sue said...

Cauliflower is definitely the new gray. It's everywhere! It's all those gluten-free folks (doesn't that include you?) who are using it everywhere.

Your recipe is really different with the addition of coconut milk. That takes it up a notch...or two or three.