Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chicken Chili Verde

I don't know what it is, but my appetite is spectacular lately.  I am craving everything.  I see a food and I want it.  I think of a food and I want it.  My culinary desires are all over the map.  Yesterday I would have died for a Thai coconut curry.  I wanted Italian the day before.  My last blog post was an outlet for my desire for pork tenderloin.

I've been feeling south-of-the-border-ish today (and no, I'm not referring to cheezy roadside attractions).  I was inspired from two places.  The first was seeing chicken chili verde in the hot case at Whole Foods.  It smelled particularly good and I realized that chicken chili verde was a dish I had never made before.  Then I saw Debby's recipe for turkey chili with tequilia and lime and thought that sounded like a really tasty twist on chili.  I decided to combine those two ideas.
I started with cubed boneless skinless chicken thighs (Standard Disclaimer: You can use breasts if you prefer, but I always think thighs hold up to long cooking better). 

Onions and some sauteed with fragrant spices and then I added a mix of anaheim and poblano chiles.Tomatillos come next and are cooked until softened.  Add some chicken stock, tequilia and lime juice.


I served it topped with cilantro and a generous dollop of homemade guacamole.  Everything is so green!



 Not green enough?  Instead of tortilla chips, I served kale chips on the side.  Trying to be healthy here. 













Chicken Chili Verde My Way
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Zest of one lime
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ancho chili powder
  • 2 anaheim chilis, cored, seeded and diced
  • 2 poblano chilis, cored, seeded and diced
  • 10 tomatillos, removed from husks and cut into chunks
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup tequilia
  • Juice of one lime
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish
Brown chicken in a large pan.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Drain excess fat off pan.

Heat olive oil and cook onions until soft.  Add the garlic and cook another minute.   Add the cumin, chili powder, and lime zest and coat the onions well, getting the mixture really fragrant.

Add the peppers to the pan.  Cook until they begin to soften and then add the tomatillos and cook until they start to soften. 

Pour in the stock, tequilia and lime juice.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Add chicken back to the pan and simmer an additional 30 minutes.

4 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

The chicken looks great! I can't bring myself to try kale chips...I grew kale as a science project.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you had a good V-day!

Sue said...

Yummy! I love that you served it with kale chips. That's really smart.

bellini said...

We like your take on this Rhu:D