Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Fun with Ingredients!

Even though the weather isn't very wintery, I do seem to be affected by these dog days of winter.  I am quite busy at work lately and when I'm home I can't get into food inspiration mode.  I'm neglecting my blog and everyone else's.  Yeah.  I know.  Excuses, excuses.  I've been saying this for quite a while, haven't I? 

Well lately I'm craving all sorts of different foods and I'm feeling like going crazy in the kitchen!

I just love blood oranges. The juice is just such a pretty color.  It never fails to make a gorgeous sauce.


I decided to put some to use this week.  I was craving pork tenderloin.  I got some of these handy-sized pork tenderloin pieces and rubbed them with cumin, cinnamon, and the orange peel and browned them in a pan.


The juice was reduced down with some mint and honey.

Roast went into the oven at 400 for 10 minutes and sliced up with the sauce. 


I still had some of that mint.  I also have some of these ground pistachios left over after making Emily's Pistachio Chery Cookies for this weekend's Super Bowl party. 

Since I made pork for myself, how about some fish for SPP?

I coated some tilapia filets in flour, eggs, and the pistchio powder.  I mixed some of the mint in with the pistachios.  The whole thing was baked for 20 minutes.


I have more cravings and more plans for the kitchen, so stay tuned.  Don't give up on me!

Pork Tenderloin with Blood Orange Sauce

Ingredients

For Pork
  • 1 lb pork tenderloin
  • Zest of one orange
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
For Sauce
  • Juice of 3 blood oranges
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 Tbl butter
Heat oven to 400 degrees

Rub the tenderloin well with orange zest, cinnamon, cumin and salt.  Let sit for a few minutes.  Place the meat in a hot cast iron skillet and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes.

Place pan in oven and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees.
In a small saucepan bring the juice to boil.  Reduce to a simmer and add mint.  Reduce liquid by half. Stir in honey until dissolved. Stir in butter and serve over pork.

Pistachio Crusted Tilapia

Ingredients
  • 2-4 tilapia filets
  • Flour for dredging
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup ground pistachios
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix some flour with salt and pepper and place in a dish.  In another dish, beat the egg.  Chop the mint and mix well with the ground nuts in a third dish.

Toss the filets in it to coat.  Dip in egg.  Then coat well with the nuts.

Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Place filets in the dish and bake for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That tilapia looks awesome!

Jana ★ said...

Great blog, I love your recipes and post!
I´m your new follower.
I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you enjoy it.
I have a google traslator, so you can read without problems!
Kisses from Spain ^^
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com