Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Kitchen Is Having a Bad Hair Day

First I went to the farmer's market and decided to try something new.



Kohlrabi.  I'd had heard of it before, but never seen it.  I'm trying not to be such a food skeptic and try new things and I tend to eat the same veggies over and over.  I took three of them home and scoured the 'net for ways to prepare them.

I cut them up in chunks, dusted them with olive oil, salt, and some balsamic vinegar and roasted them at 450 for 25 minutes.


Texture? Tough.  Taste?  Not bad, but no real standout.  Kind of sweet.  They tasted better the next day for some reason.  I doubt I'll buy them again.  SPP didn't like it at all.

If veggies could oblige me more by being delicious, I am sure I would eat more of them!

Next up was a new beef braise.  I have wanted to try braising lamb shanks for the longest time, but Whole Paycheck stubbornly refuses to not be out of them when I shop there.  I saw some beef shanks and decided to give them a try.

I cooked them with wine and a medley of sweet veggies.  I served it all over cauliflower puree.


The meat just never took that fall-apart tender texture and rich taste that a good chuck roast would.  It was tough and a bit gristly. 

If I ever find lamb shanks again, I'll post the recipe.  It was a good recipe.

I read a great food-related book a few weeks ago, which I keep meaning to review on here.  I will keep you posted. 

Now I need to go back ot the kitchen and cook something I actually like and want to share.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Love kohrabi. Try it raw in a salad. A cross between a potato and . . . something. Hope you find lamb shanks again.