Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rollatini Scarpariello

Chicken Scarpariello is one of those Italian dishes that you will never see in Italy, but you will always see it on the menu of your neighborhood red sauce Italian joint.  It's always one of my favorites.  If it's made well, it's chicken Heaven.  How can I resist the wine-soaked chicken accompanied by hearty sausages and the sharpness of some lemon and hot pepper? 

I order it often in restaurants, but I rarely, if ever, attempt to make it at home.  I'd love to, but I have a husband who has issues with link sausages. 

Then one day a thought came to me.  How could I make chicken scarpariello with sausage and have the sausage out of the casings (the part that tends to lend the most digestive trouble)?  It would not be terribly aesthetically pleasing to have bit of sausage meat scattered all over the plate (unless you're serving it over pasta I suppose).  I needed a way to un-link the sausage and yet still have my dish look somewhat neat.  I realized the best way to do this would be to put the sausage meat inside the chicken.  I would make scarpariello-flavored chicken sausage rolls.

I removed the sausage meat from the casings (in this case it was Italian chicken sausage) and mixed up bits of the hot (Peppadew) peppers in with it as well.  I even added the zest of a lemon to brighten up the flavor a bit. 


I rolled up the sausage in the chicken and browned it.  Then it went into the oven.  Next I made a typical pan sauce of white wine, lemon juice, and fresh rosemary and poured it over the top.


I served escarole on the side.  Do you know if you braise escarole with a touch of cider vinegar and add some butter-sauteed apples you can really cut the bitterness?

Chicken Scarpariello Rollatini

Ingredients
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and tenders removed
  • 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
  • 10 Peppadew peppers, finely diced
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 Tbl butter
  • 1 Tbl chopped, fresh rosemary
  • Olive oil for sauteeing
Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix together sausage meat with chopped peppers and lemon zest. 

Lay your chicken breasts flat and spread some of the sausage mixture on each one.  Roll up carefully. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Carefully brown your chicken rolls on all sides.  Place chicken in the oven and cook an additional 15 minutes.

Keep chicken warm while you make the pan sauce. Add the lemon juice, wine, chicken stock and rosemary to the pan.  Reduce down for a minute or two and then add the butter.  Cook on low another minute and serve over chicken.

3 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I'd never heard of it but I'd totally eat it!

The Blonde Duck said...

Have a good weekend!

The Blonde Duck said...

Trust me, those rolls are diet-breaking worthy.