Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Adobo Tacos (Or Chile Rellenos - Whatever You Like)

I don't talk about it much on this blog, because it seems wrong to talk about such things on a food blog, but I have taken on the task of making a major effort to lose weight this year.  My goal at the beginning of the year was to lose 44 pounds.  I took a very radical approach to my weight loss and so far have lost 15 pounds.  My diet is probably a bit too radical, which is why I don't always stick to it and why after 5 months it has only been 15 pounds, but I believe the slow weight loss is probably the healthiest and will likely stick more as I'm adjusting my diet in ways I can stand.

The problem with trying to lose weight is that I still have to cook for two. Sir Pickypants is a naturally thin guy who can keep his weight down just by making sure he works out regularly.  I'm not so lucky as I have a voluptuous body type that puts on weight just thinking about food.  That means he has to suffer through my dieting.  When I saw he was likely to be someone who had problems with gluten, he had no problem taking that from his diet (well, most of the time).  I went (mostly - still struggling) gluten-free in solidarity, but then took the whole thing a step further and cut out corn and legumes in addition to wheat.

Husband hasn't complained much.  He has been very compliant about eating what I put on his plate (it's not as if he has another choice), but recently he started speaking wistfully of the food I don't cook for him anymore.  No more tacos.  No more chili.  No more spaghetti and meatballs.

I took pity on the poor man.  A few nights ago I made him my awesome turkey chili for dinner and left the beans out of my portion.  He was very happy.  I like to see him happy. 

When I was shopping for ingredients, I had not been able to purchase my poblano peppers individually.  I had to buy a package of them.  This left me with a conundrum.  What would I do with the extras?

This month's issue of Food & Wine magazine gave me some inspiration.  It's all about grilling.  Normally I ignore the grilling issues since they're useless to apartment dwellers like me. Nonetheless, this month I did flip through the recipes a bit.  While I couldn't get on board with the cooking methods provided, there were plenty of good seasoning ideas.  I could be inspired by the flavors the magazine provided me without having to actually grill anything.

There was a very tasty sounding adobo chicken recipe that contained different types of chili powder and sweet spices like cinnamon and allspice.  I decided to adapt those flavors into a turkey taco using the ingredients I had on hand. 

As for the non-corn-eater, I took those poblano peppers, roasted them, and then stuffed my adobo turkey into them.  I roasted them first and stuffed cooked the turkey mixture into them.  I thought they would be less soggy that way.

The turkey was good.  It was a little sweet, even though there was no sugar in it.  I think I would definitely use this seasoning again.   It would make a nice turkey burger or rub for roasted chicken or pork.




I had a lovely orange-avocado salad on the side rather than try to stuff veggies into the shells.  

It's nice to know I can adapt a recipe and still do things that help me on my ongoing weight loss!

(Unfortunately, as you will read in future posts, my diet this week has run way off the rails.)

Adobo Turkey Tacos

Ingredients
2 pounds ground turkey
2 Tbl olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 Tbl chipotle powder
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp smoke paprika
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
Warm corn tortillas  OR roasted poblano peppers*

Heat 2 Tbl of olive oil in a large skillet.  Cook onions in olive oil until soft.

Add the chili powders, cinnamon, allspice and paprika to the pan.  Continue cooking until the mixture is very fragrant, onions are well coated, and spices are forming a bit of a paste at the bottom of the pan.

Add turkey, breaking it up as you brown it.  Cook over medium heat until completely cooked through.  Stir in salt.

Serve in tortillas or roasted peppers.

*To roast peppers, heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the stems off the peppers and remove the seeds.  Coat with a little oil and roast on a baking sheet about 20 minutes or until the skins start to blister.


2 comments:

Yussy @ Glitziepixie said...

Two recipes in one!!! They both look delicious!!! Good luck on your weight loss journey!!! :)

Blond Duck said...

Those sound marvelous! Ben can eat as much bread as he wants and stay the weight he wants. I look at a loaf and gain 3 lbs. So frustrating!