Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Back in the Kitchen with a Simple Summer Recipe

Hello Muffins.  I want you to know I didn't desert you.  I was just away in Chincoteague doing some of this.


And this...



And lots and lots of this...




So with a week off from the real world, I seem to have a bit more of my cooking mojo back.

Sometime in the past year I read Dave Lebovitz's book The Sweet Life in Paris.  It was my intention to review it here, but I never seemed to get around to it.  The book had vignettes and stories and some fun recipes.  I highly recommend it.  It's a quick read too.

The book had a recipe for roasted figs.  I thought that was a very interesting idea.  I love fresh figs and I'm sure the intensity of flavor they would get from roasting would be perfect with pork.  I really wanted to try it.

This week was going to be be my week to do so, but there were no figs at all at the supermarket.  I decided to try roasting another fruit instead.  I found some tiny nectarines and roasted them with balsamic vinegar.

I marinated the pork in olive oil, lemon, thyme, and mint.  Once it was cooked I sandwiched slices of it with the roasted necatarines.

Utterly delicious, but I can't wait until I find some figs and try those as well.

My camera broke and I've been using my phone for all photos.  I suppose I should have at least used the light box.  Anyway, I served the pork with sweet potato medallions (sprinkled with salt and smoked paprika) and lemon-butter veggie medley.

Have I been going a little to the sweet side lately?  Don't worry.  A more savory recipe or two is coming.

This is so simple you almost don't need a recipe, but I'll provide one.

Lemon-Herb Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Balsamic Nectarines

Ingredients
  • 1 pound pork tenderloin
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 Tbl chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 Tbl chopped fresh mint
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbl olive oil 
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 5 small nectarines, cut in 1/4" slices
  • 2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
  • Few grinds black pepper

Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice and zest, 1 tsp salt, and herbs.  Place in a plastic bag with the pork tenderloin and marinate several hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Remove tenderloin from marinade.  In an ovenproof pan brown the tenderloin well on all sides (about 10 minutes).  Place the pan in the oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Meanwhile combine balsamic vinegar, remaning salt, and black pepper.  Toss the nectarine slices gently in the mixture.  Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 10 minutes.

Serve the pork tenderloin sliced and topped with the nectarine slices.

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Wonderful recipe . . . looks like you're having a great time. Have to say, I'm really impressed with the quality of many a phone picture.

bellini said...

Sorry to hear your camera is on the fritz, but I have come to the conclusion, on my blog at least, never to apologize...for being absent, for what I feel are less than par photos, or no time to blog. You do very well on all accounts Jerry and even in the kitchen.

bellini said...

Sorry, I called you Jerry in my last comment...now I am apologizing.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Rosemary - I had to take half the photos from the vacay with the phone, so I'm pretty impressed. Phone images are just a tad harder to manipulate though when you're taking them. Granted, I don't manipulate my photos much when I take them to begin with, so using the phone doesn't matter too much ;-)

Val - I suppose I'm a little paranoid that if I don't explain why I'm gone, people will stop coming back because they think I don't update.

Sue said...

I love the pictures with the horsies. Cooking with nectarines is a great idea and that looks positively yummy.

Emily said...

Beautiful!