Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Meeting Another New-ish Kid in Town - Hash-O-Nash

Hash O'Nash isn't exactly a new kid in town.  It's new enough to me since I hadn't visited it at all since it opened.  Sometimes the dinner routine can become a bit predictable and SPP and I end up dining at the same old restaurants.  It didn't help that Hash O'Nash had some mixed reviews on the consumer review sites, so I was a little hesitant to try it.

Hash-O-Nash bills itself as a "Middle Eastern Country Kitchen".  What part of the Middle East is not explicitly specified on the outside of the restaurant.  You have to go in and experience it to get the full effect of everything they serve.   Their menu is huge.  There are two crowded pages of appetizers, soups, and salads.  Then there are two pages of "grill" specialties, and then another full page of "kitchen" entrees. Then another page just for the lunch specials.  I'm glad the server was patient with us, because I had a hard time choosing.  The menu encompasses several countries.  There are dishes that represent Morocco, Jordan, and even Israel along with some American touches.

The kitchen is partially open.  I lost my photo of it, but diners can see the bit spits of meats turning and also the smoker they use.  It's pretty cool.

Decor is simple and warm.  Colors are muted and deep.  Lanterns and rugs hang from the walls.  There are also hookahs in the window, which makes me wonder what really goes on there.  Yes, I know people smoke actual tobacco in hookahs, which isn't desirable, but is certainly legal, but you wonder what the "Hash" in Hash O'Nash" means....

The music was turned up way too loud when we first came in, but I learned that was because they had a belly dancer.  I thought I took her picture, but it seems to have disappeared.  I told Kevin he was free to look, but she could not entice him.  I wanted to tip her for trying, but she went away when she realized Kevin wasn't interested in the show.

Our server actually discouraged me from ordering a salad or appetizer because portions are so huge.  Kevin couldn't resist an order of latkes though, which we shared.  They were nice and fluffy and crispy.  They were everything my latkes are not.


For an entree I had a dish called Fattet Batinjan.  This was chopped lamb and eggplant in a very garlicky tomato sauce, over copious rice pilaf with pita chips and chickpeas and raisins.  The whole thing was topped with tzatziki sauce. If it were a boat, it would be an aircraft carrier.  I took a photo before I ate it and after I managed to attack some of it so you can see what it looked like.

It actually was almost a bit too garlicky though.  I love garlic, but this gave me a serious case of dragon breath.

You can also see the interesting Moroccan red wine I drank in the photo on the left.  

 

Kevin had shrimp kebobs.  He's not that adventurous.  He says he likes the ones at Turkish Meze better, but he had no real complaints.

Desserts were pretty limited.  There was baklava of course, but I declined that one since they didn't say what kind of nuts they use and I get can pretty uncomfortable after eating a walnut baklava.  I opted for a chocoflan instead.  I don't know why a chocoflan was in a Middle Eastern restaurant, but I always wanted to try one (and would like to make one at some point) so I figured there was no time like the present.  

 

Decent, but not mind-blowing.  

I would love to come back here and try one of the many other temptations on the menu.  This is definitely a good addition to the neighborhood.

P.S.  I bought a new camera this weekend!  No more camera phone photos! Stay tuned for a blog with the new camera photos.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I... really want some chocoflan right now. I don't even like flan that much.

This restaurant looks good. That latkes look delicious! I don't know about that belly dancing though.