Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Still Loving Garlic

I know I have said that there are times when I should learn how to tone down the garlic, but after all these years in the kitchen, it's hard for me to do without it.

One garlic recipe I have always wanted to try was garlic confit.  Garlic tastes great slow-roasted, so why not try it slowly cooked in oil, leaving me with plenty of garlic-infused oil to play with.

Once I made up my mind to make confit garlic, my next thought was what I could do with it.  How would I use my resulting oily garlic mush?  I could spread it on a cracker.  I could spread it veggies. I could spread it on chicken. 

Then I had an idea.  What if I put it in chicken instead of on it?  Rather than stuff chicken with just plain garlic, I considered mixing it with spinach, a little cheese, and some pine nuts.  I had a savory, vegetable-filled easy chicken dish.

I used frozen spinach instead of fresh simply because it's easier to work with.  I know I could probably get great fresh spinach at the the farmer's market.  Sometimes I want to just create one less step for myself.  Rather than roll the chicken, I cut a pocket inside the chicken breast and smooshed my spinach-garlic mixture in there.  I finished the dish by adding some white wine and a pat of butter, because I always have to do that.



I doused some orange cauliflower in some of the garlic oil and roasted it.  This was a perfect accompaniment. 

Decent dish, but I didn't love it.  I will find some other uses for garlic confit in the future I think.  I know that garlic oil will coat many veggies and roast chickens in the future.

I haven't bought a new camera yet.  Soon.  Soon.
Chicken stuffed with Spinach and Garlic Confit

Ingredients

  • 1 head garlic, cloves separated out and peeled
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1 spring rosemary
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 8 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed with water squeezed out
  • 2 Tbl pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 Tbl pecorino, finely grated
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 Tbl butter

Place oil, garlic, and rosemary in a small saucepan.  Cook over very low heat about an hour until garlic is very soft and oil is fragrant.  Remove garlic and rosemary sprig from oil and set aside.  Discard rosemary.

Mash or puree garlic into a paste.  Mix well with spinch.  Add grated cheese and pine nuts.

With a small knife carefully cut a large slit in each chicken breast.  Gentle push the spinach mixture into the slit. 

Heat a large skillet with a little oil over medium heat.  Brown chicken breasts well about 8 minutes per side.  Remove from pan.  Add wine to the pan and scrape up any brown bits.  Add chicken back to the pan and gently simmer another 15 minutes, adding more wine as necessary, until cooked through.

Remove chicken from pan.  Swirl butter into pan juices.  Serve chicken topped with pan juices.

5 comments:

bellini said...

Buying a new camera is a big decision!!!!!!!

Blond Duck said...

Thank you so much for the wordsnwhimsy.com. Sometimes I get scared and think we'd be better without kids--I don't relish the idea of wrecking my body and 3 a.m. feedings. But I'm scared of becoming my aunt, who didn't have children and is now an anorexic, miserable person with a shitty marriage.

That's why I'm letting a higher power decide. :)

Emily said...

Oooh new camera!

I think you're too hard on yourself. This chicken looks delicious. I've never had orange cauliflower before.

Emily said...

Oooh new camera!

I think you're too hard on yourself. This chicken looks delicious. I've never had orange cauliflower before.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Em, yellow cauliflower pretty much tastes the same as white, but it's very cool looking. I think the flavor of the chicken would have been tempered nicely with something creamy like some mascarpone or goat cheese and a little prosciutto would have been nice too, but then my husband would have turned up his nose!