Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sweet-Spicy Chicken

I seem to be going through phases in the kitchen lately.

I was really really into dishes made with fruit, booze,  and caramelized onions for a while.

Now it seems that I like things that are both sweet and spicy and made with coconut.  I suppose the elements in this recipe might look a bit familiar (I did just make burgers with mangoes in my last post), but I like to think they're tweaked enough to not be like the last few recipes.

I have become so obsessed with coconuts and limes these days nonetheless that this is all I can think of.



I will admit this is an adaption of something I saw online recently, although I don't remember where.

For this dish I coated chicken pieces with chipotle powder, salt, and cumin.  Then I browned them in olive oil and coconut oil.  The coconut oil is optional, but I like the way it boosts the coconut flavor.  Then I added some tequila, lime juice, and chopped mango to the pan.  I put in some coconut milk and let it bubble, and then the chicken simmered a while longer.


I admit this tasted quite a bit like my pina colada pork, but was spicier.  I need to get my cooking brain on a new track.  It was still pretty tasty though.

Still taking the photos with my phone for the time being.

Coconut Mango and Chipotle Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1 chicken cut up into pieces
  • 1 Tbl chipotle powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbl each olive and coconut oils
  • 2 mangoes, diced
  • 2 Tbl tequila
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 Tbl dried unsweetened coconut
Mix chipotle, salt, and cumin together and rub all over chicken pieces.

In a large pan heat the oils and add the chicken pieces to the pan.  Brown well on all sides.  You want to really brown the spices.  This should take about 10 minutes.  Remove chicken from pan.

Add the lime juice and tequila to the pan carefully.  Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom.  Add the mango chunks and continue scraping the pan and getting the fruit well-coated.  Add the coconut milk and mix well.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce to simmer and add the chicken back into the pan.  Simmer for another 30 minutes.  If sauce tightens up too much, add a little more coconut milk or even some chicken stock.

Mix together cilantro and coconut flakes.  Sprinkle over chicken before serving. 

No comments: