Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Super Simple Idea for Cider


If the consonant sound is the same, but not the consonant itself, is it still considered an alliteration? 
I can’t believe I just used the phrase, “Super Simple”.  That’s so Sandra Lee!  Tyler Florence uses that phrase too and he doesn’t annoy me much and his recipes are good, so I’ll try to think more of him when I think of this post title.  I promise I’ll never say, “Easy Peasy.”

After my weekend dinner party I was left with over a quart of apple cider and needed some ways to use it up.  I had to think of some ways to incorporate it into a recipe or two in the coming week.  
Did you ever start Googling around for recipe inspiration, find a recipe on a blog, then forget where and what the blog was?  I did that when I started trying to come up with ways to use up my cider.  I would like to give a couple of bloggers credit for their inspiration, but I forgot where I found the idea.  Oh well.  I can say I was inspired by their recipes, but at least I didn’t copy them.  

I love fruit and booze together, so this recipe had two main ingredients: cider and bourbon. I cooked some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this heavenly mixture.  This recipe only has a handful of ingredients.  It was so easy I almost feel it wasn’t really fancy enough for the blog.  I realized it would be selfish of me not to share something so delicious.  

I served very simply with cauliflower puree. If you prefer breasts to thighs, go ahead and use them and cook them a bit longer to compensate for their thickness.  I can imagine this would make a good braise for whole bone-in chicken parts if you add some chicken stock and have a little more time on your hands.

Bourbon Cider Chicken Thighs

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 Tbl olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 ½ cups apple cider
  • ½ cup bourbon
  • 1 Tbl chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 Tbl unsalted butter
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat olive oil in a large pan and brown well on both sides over medium heat.  Remove from pan.

Add bourbon, cider and thyme to the pan.  Bring to a boil and boil for a minute or two to reduce.  Lower the heat and return chicken to the pan.  Cook an additional 15 minutes.  (More for thicker pieces of chicken)


Add butter to the pan and bring to boil one more minute. Pour over chicken and fall in love.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I love everything about this recipe,especially the last words of it. And I applaud you for not just mixing the apple cider and bourbon together and calling it a night.

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh no, chicken thighs over chicken breast any day. That's just how it goes! Love the combination with the apple cider. Wonder if it would work with pomegranate juice too. Delish fall dish.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue - I'd never make it that easy on myself. ;-)

DD Guys - You have me very curious on the Pom thing. I will almost always choose thighs over breasts (unless I'm stuffing them). I just give the option for those who really don't like dark meat.