Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Can't Believe I Never Made This Before

How was everyone's Thanksgiving?  Hope you all had too much to eat in the best way possible, surrounded by people you love.

My own Thanksgiving was nice, but low key.  I split cooking duties with Mom.  Even if I were willing to open my home up to 17 people again, I don't have the time off anymore to really spend a few days cooking.  I took care of the turkey, stuffing, gravy, homemade biscuits, and chocolate pie.  Mom did the other side dishes and a mushroom bisque for an appetizer.

We initially were going to have 14 people for dinner and I ordered an appropriately sized turkey.  Well, there were some cancellations.  Only 7 people ended up eating my turkey (there were 9 people at dinner, but two were vegetarians).  This photo shows half the turkey carved.  I ended up taking nearly the entire other half of the turkey home.

I made my cornbread, apple, and sausage stuffing, but I used too much bread and not enough flavorings, so it came out a bit bland and dry.  Hardly anyone ate that either.  At least we had plenty of gravy to pour over it.  I doubled the make-ahead turkey gravy recipe from Noble Pig.  There was also roasted root vegetables (new potatoes, carrots, parsnips), cranberry sauce, sweet potato pudding, corn pudding, and brussels sprouts. 
So what pie reigns supreme?  Here is the pumpkin pie.
Here is what was left of my chocolate pie.  No contest.
So now it's time to move on from Thanksgiving food.  I was eating turkey and stuffing leftovers for dinner until Monday night (not to mention stuffing nests are pretty good with eggs for breakfast).  I wanted something other than poultry.  I was looking for some good, old-fashioned BEEF.
I was dreaming of beef for two days.  What kind of beef did I want?  Should I make a nice beef roast?  How about a chipotle burger?  Maybe I should just get a good steak.  Decisions, decisions...

I had an inspiration.  How about a London Broil?  I had never made London Broil in my life ever.  Wasn't it time to make such a simple classic?

It's weird because I remember eating a lot of London Broil as a kid.  It's quick and easy to cook and it's an inexpensive cut, so it was easy for a single mother to feed two beef-loving kids with it.  It also grills well.  I can remember a few meals of London Broil on the grill from my childhood and teen years. 

I guess the main reason I never made it was that top rounds, although inexpensive, are huge, and that's a lot to eat myself when I know my husband won't eat it.

I decided to subject myself to a few days of leftovers (cheap lunch - a plus when you are in NYC and not wanting to pay Midtown prices for food) and make a London Broil this week.

I improvised a marinade with an Asian flair, marinated it overnight, and then broiled it 7 minutes per side.  I gave it a crusting of salt and pepper before it went into the oven.

I didn't let it rest long enough (it was late and my husband was getting hungry - I made fish for him that night, but he was kind enough to wait for me to eat it and I didn't want him to wait any longer) so it was a little dry, but it was perfectly cooked, and my marinade was perfect. 

I made out-of-season Peruvian asparagus to go with it.  Yes, I know that's very politically incorrect of me.


I am sure everyone reading this has his or her own recipe for a London Broil marinade, but since this is my first time making it, I am going to share my recipe anyway for posterity.

Short (dis)Order Cook's London Broil

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds top round steak, about 1-2 inches thick
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbl grated fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbl molasses
  • Few drops sriracha
  • Salt and pepper
Mix together all ingredients except for beef, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.  Place meat in marinade and allow to marinate several hours or overnight.  Remove steak from marinade and discard marinade.

Line a broiler pan with foil.  Heat broiler.  Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper on both side.  Broil 8 minutes on one side and 7 minutes on the other.

Let rest several minutes.  Slice against the grain and serve.

9 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

W'eve never made London broil either. Maybe it's the broiling process or the fact that not all ovens can be trusted, but broiling seems like a very inconsistent way to cook meat. You just have to have your eye on the dish the entire time!

bellini said...

Turkey is definitely the food of the moment but after all the leftovers having a perfectly coked london broil would be the wy to go.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

DD guys- very true. I don't think I have ever used the broiler for anything other than giving food a quick browning off, or to melt marshmallows. It is a bit scary to cook your meat that way and my broiler only has two settings and I had to make the executive decision which one to use. I decided I could take the chance with this one since this is a cut that is reliably broiled all the time.

Val - thanks. You understand!

Sue said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. It all sounds wonderful.

You've never made London Broil before?!! Maybe you just called it flank steak. I love the Asian flavors with it too.

Emily said...

Oh my gosh that meal looks fantastic! I want to have Thanksgiving at your house. The broil looks good too. I just bought some asparagus today.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue - I never made flank steak either. Truly this was a new recipe for me.

Em - A pity I could never get the idea of cooking T-day dinner myself at my BIL's house to catch on. I'd insist you were on the guest list if we did.

Naughty asparagus people!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Sue - I never made flank steak either. Truly this was a new recipe for me.

Em - A pity I could never get the idea of cooking T-day dinner myself at my BIL's house to catch on. I'd insist you were on the guest list if we did.

Naughty asparagus people!

Blond Duck said...

Now I'm curious. I've never had London Broil.

Blond Duck said...

Happy Wednesday!