Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Germs Never Tasted So Good

2013 has not started out on the right foot.  I keep getting sick.  I started off the year with a bad cold.  I was healthy for a week or two, only to develop an even worse cold this week.  This cold has knocked me flat on my back with a killer cough, a leaky faucet nose, and no energy whatsoever.  I work from home (with frequent naps) and have not seen the inside of a gym for a week.  Nor have I seen the faces of my beloved horses (even though I think the best therapy for me would be Riddle's soft little nose - one day I will patent Riddlenose therapy and charge money for it).

I knew I was taking a turn for the better when I started thinking about baking again.  When I feel so bored sitting around at home that I start thinking I need to bake rather than sleep, I know I must be on the mend.

I had been planning to bake this week even before this bug hit.  I had been promising my coworkers more baked goods for quite some time and had been hoping to use the long weekend to make something for them. I had found a wonderful cream cheese brownie recipe that I had been planning to make, but I did something really dumb.  I didn't read the recipe before going to the store and ended up buying semi-sweet chocolate when I needed unsweetened.  I don't know what possessed me.  What brownie recipe uses sweetened chocolate?  I took stock of what was in my kitchen.  I had semisweet chocolate, pecans, coconut, and cream cheese.  I should be able to do something with all of that.  I kept putting those ingredients into Google hoping to find a good recipe, but nothing useful was coming back.

One of the reasons I was planning to use the cream cheese recipe meant to share only at work was that my husband hates cream cheese.  Since I didn't know when I would be returning to work, he wouldn't be terribly happy if I used that cream cheese in a dessert meant to eat at home.

I had a revelation.  What about pie?  There are plenty of recipes out there for cream cheese pie crust.  Chances are a pie crust wouldn't taste too cream-cheese-y and I've always wanted to try that method for pie crust anyway.  The question would be what kind of pie?

When you consider my ingredients on hand, the kind of pie was obvious, especially when you consider Sir Pickypants' favorite pies.

I remember when we first began dating I asked him what his favorite kind of pie was so I would know what kind of pies to bake him in the future.  He said he loved pecan pie and coconut cream pie.  The first birthday I celebrated with him I baked him my basic coconut cream pie.  He seemed a bit indifferent to it at the time.

Since then the pies I have bake that he has named as his favorites are my white chocolate coconut cream pie, Kentucky Derby Pie (which I've stopped making since I realized I was allergic to walnuts), and a coconut-macadamia nut tart.( I can't find a recipe online for it.  The recipe came from an old Williams Sonoma cookbook.  It's a good tart if you ever want to email me for the recipe).

He also is my husband, which means he has to love chocolate by default.

That settled it.  I was going to make a pecan-chocolate-coconut filling for my cream cheese crust.  I took my germy self to the kitchen, washed my hands really well, and commenced pie making. 

I started with a Martha Stewart recipe for cream cheese pie crust.  It worked well.  The dough was more elastic than butter/shortening dough, making the rolling process much less painful.  I'll even post a photo.

For my filling I had to take several points into consideration.  I wanted to keep the amount of sugar fairly low.  I was using corn syrup, sweetened coconut, and sweet chocolate, which could be sugar overkill.  I didn't know how that might affect the consistency, so I added an extra egg for assured binding.  I know most pecan pie recipes call for dark brown sugar, but I used light brown.  I'm not fond of dark brown sugar.  I don't like that obvious molasses flavor. 

I love Ghiradelli chocolate because it's so easy to chop into small pieces.  I added an entire package each of coconut and pecans along with an entire chocolate bar.  What you don't see here is a shot of bourbon.

I was afraid it wouldn't all fit into the crust, but it did.  Here it is.  Ready for the oven.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.














This pie is sweet, gooey, rich, and crunchy.  You will become your dentist's favorite patient and your nutritionist's favorite client.  Even if it's covered in germs, it's worth it.


The best part about pecan pies is that they are ridiculously easy to put together.  There is no fruit chopping or custard stirring.  Once your pie crust is rolled out, all you need to do is stir it all together.  It's ready by the time the oven is preheated.

Nothing makes a husband happier than coming home to a homemade pie, even if his wife did bake a few germs into it.  

Pecan, Coconut, and Chocolate Pie

Ingredients

  • 1 unbaked pie crust
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup bourbon
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
  • 1 bag sweetened, shredded coconut
  • 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped into small bits
Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together corn syrup, eggs, butter, sugar, and bourbon until well blended.

Stir in the nuts, coconut, and chocolate.

Pour into pie shell.  Bake for 50-55 minutes or until set.

7 comments:

bellini said...

I do not seem to have much luck with pastry so like the sounds of the cream cheese addition.

Blond Duck said...

I want this so bad but I'm allergic to chocolate. What could I sub?

Debby Foodiewife said...

Putting a shot of bourbon in anything makes it one notch better, don't you think? A cream cheese pie crust is da bomb. I hope he liked it. I know that I would.
Hope you're all better now. It sucks to be sick.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

It definitely makes your crusts easier to work with. I also want to try a piecrust with eggs at so e point.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I can't drink bourbon straight, but I love it in my desserts.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hubby was crazy for the pie.

Sue said...

I LOVE cooking with bourbon. And bourbon and pecans are a great combo. I made my first chocolate pecan pie just last Thanksgiving and it was awesome. It may take me another few decades to add coconut too, but it sounds really good.

Blond Duck said...

I hope you're feeling better!