Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Don't Want to Feed the Trolls, but It's Time to Address the Anonymous Pioneer Women Leghumpers

When I first wrote my post concerning my thoughts on the Pioneer Woman over a year ago (yes, folks, over a year ago, as in quite a bit of time ago), I expected it to generate some controversy.  I know Ree Drummond has legions of fans.  I wasn't expecting my post to be popular.  I didn't expect the overwhelming support I received for the post.  It seems more people feel the way I do than I expected - at least among those who regularly read my blog.  Many of my blogging friends started out as I did. They were interested in her blog in the beginning, but lost interest after it began to feel phony and found the recipes were being dumbed down and disgusting.

Now suddenly that year-and-a-half old blog post is being deluged by anonymous commenters who want to scold me.

I'm not sure why they are choosing to do so now.  The blog is old and quite frankly I have more important topics to discuss on TERP these days, but the comments keep coming.  They are also anonymous.  That's annoying.  What do you people have to hide?   Do you work for Voce Communications?  Are you afraid I'll troll your blog in return?

I really don't care that much who you are, but I'd like you to know that this is the one and only time I am going to address you.  I will continue to delete your comments because I don't think they add to the discussion (since the discussion has long since ended as far as I'm concerned).  Here is what I have to say to you.  I'll only say it once.  ("Listen carefully.  I am only going to say this once." Name that show!)  I will give you your chance just this once to respond in kind.  Then we are going to consider the issue closed.

First I want to remind you that the blog was titled, "My Thoughts on the Pioneer Woman and Her New Show."  Notice the blog said "My thoughts".  It did not say, "What I think your thoughts should be."  It did not say, "Why you must hate the Pioneer Woman."  I'm usually the kind of person who believes everyone is entitled to my opinion, but in this case, I will gladly let you have your own.  Just keep in mind that post was my opinion, on my blog.  If you don't like it, go back to reading The Pioneer Woman blog and leave me alone.

Next, I'm tired of all of your rhetorical (or is that REEtorical- ha ha) questions regarding the points I made in my blog.  My blog said everything I had to say.  You think if you ask me another three times, "So what if she's rich" or "So what if her recipes contain enough fat and sodium to kill off an entire team of marathon runners?" that I will somehow give you some kind of insight to help you hate me more?   I addressed all of your questions my blog.  You just didn't want to read it.  Constantly badgering me isn't going to change anything I said in my blog, which you don't seem to read very thoroughly anyway.

I see Pioneer Woman as a wealthy, well-educated, media savvy woman whose media-generated image of a struggling ranch wife has been slickly produced by a high-end PR company.  She recycles old recipes and passes them as her own.  It does not endear me to her.  It does not endear her to a lot of people.  Obviously it doesn't matter to you.  That's fine.  I'm cool with that.  I don't go onto your blog and tell you how wrong you are for saying it doesn't matter to you.  Write a dozen blogs singing her praises.  Better yet, go onto her blog and tell her how wonderful she is directly.  What you do doesn't matter to me and doesn't offend me.  Buy her books. Buy from her sponsors.  It's your time and your money.  I'm not about to tell you how to spend either one,although your time is being wasted if you're planning to troll my blog.

So that's it.  I will not engage you further.  My blog.  My opinion.  I'm sorry you feel so offended that I expressed distate for someone neither of us knows very well.  There isn't much I can do about it though.  I feel the way I feel and you're not going to change that with your long-winded comments.  You just need to accept that I have a different opinion from you.  It doesn't make me a bad person.  It just makes me someone who dislikes that Pioneer Woman persona*, blog, and TV show. 

I have a blog on a free Google site.  I don't pay for domain hosting.  I used ready-made templates instead of having a professional designer.  I don't monetize.  I don't have sponsors.  I don't sell anything.  No one is being paid to promote my blog for me.  This means I have about four regular readers.  That's okay by me because this blog exists for my pleasure alone because I enjoy cooking and writing and I want to archive my recipes and food experiences.  Would I love fame and fortune.  Sure.  I also know a cooking blog by a complete amateur in the kitchen is not the best way to seek it.

*Note I said persona. I'm not here to slam Ree Drummond personally. I don't know her.  I doubt I ever will know her.   She seemed perfectly nice when I met her at the book signing.  I simply dislike the media-generated image she has created.  I can say the same for Rachael Ray Paula Deen and many other carefully cultivated TV personalities.

5 comments:

bellini said...

We are all subjected to trolls that feel the need to express their thoughts anonymously. This space is yours and I agree with you wholeheartedly when you say you should be able to express your thoughts and opinions. Continue to do what you love.

IndianaAnna said...

I agree with you 100%!

chewingthefat said...

I just read your original and most recent posts on the PW. Hilarious! I love horses and truthfully, I was more drawn to her blog by the fantasy of living and working with horses than the food. There are one or two recipes of hers I want to try (prune cake and cinnamon rolls) but overall, the main reason I started cooking was to stop my reliance upon processed foods, not 'sneak them' to my family. The depressing aspect of her fame is the degree to which 'making it big' as a blogger is so dependent upon ALREADY having a large income for ingredients, technology, and so forth. And more so than Ree, what I find creepiest is her fans, who foam and froth at the mouth at the slightest criticism of her. I ride (English, ALWAYS with a helmet) and I do appreciate that the culture is different in the Western world regarding helmets. However, with most of her fans--if it had been anyone BUT Ree and she had shown her kid without a helmet, they would have nothing but nasty things to say. But because Ree lets her kid ride without a helmet/uses Velveeta an so forth, it is magically okay.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Try the cinnamon rolls by all means. They're awesome!

The horse photos on that blog drew me too. So gorgeous.

I agree that I don't mind if people like her processed food recipes, but I can't stand the way some folks see the need to defend her at all costs. If you believe that PW is a real, authentic person, then you should be willing to accept that she has the same human flaws the rest of us have.

Sue said...

Forgive me for taking so long to comment on this. AMEN to everything you said!!! I guess folks could say we're being snarky, but you (and I!) always give reasoned arguments for disliking specific things about specific people. AND we don't give our opinions anonymously!