Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday Cake

I hate sports.

It's not that I don't like playing certain sports (or maybe I should say engaging in sporty activities), but I really hate spectator sports.  I find no greater waste of time than sitting around watching other people play sports.  Even sports I enjoy engaging in I don't really want to watch.  I'd rather be out riding than watch a horse show for example.

I save my biggest distaste for football.  I can't think of a game more torturous than football.  I absolutely can't stand the pace of it.  There are two minutes left in the game, but the spectator must sit through thirty minutes of stopping and starting and stopping and starting.  It's like having one's fingernails pulled off in tiny increments.

What would be my ideal Super Bowl Sunday?  (Along with a nice dinner and a good wine, followed by bedtime)
























(Why did they kill off Sybil?  Yeah.  I know. Contract disputes.  Still it was a crummy thing to do.)

But the Super Bowl isn't just about the boring football game.  It's also about the preceding parties.  Since I don't know anyone having a Downton Abbey party, I had  planned to spend Super Bowl Sunday at an actual Super Bowl party with some good friends.  Over the years it has become traditional to spend our Super Bowl Sunday with this group of friends (even though it's not the type of Super Bowl party where the women watch chick flicks in another room).  We simply want to enjoy the company of friends as much as possible.  We kick back, eat lots of food, and enjoy each other's company.  When it's time for the game, I enjoy a nice nap (brought on by both the dullness of the game and the amount of wine consumed) occasionally waking up for the commercials.

I always try to take a homemade dessert to these parties, as I try to do for every party.  As long as I'm able-bodied and don't forget to buy the right ingredients I bake.  It always seems to be appreciated.

The party was a fair distance from home so I needed to bake something that traveled well.  I decided on a nice, sturdy pound cake.  Ever since I made my bourbon-orange pound cake, I have been obsessed with making variations on that theme.  This time around I decided on a Bailey's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake.  

It was super-easy to do the cake this way.  I just replaced the cup of liquid (in the original recipe it was milk and in my first variation it was bourbon and orange juice) with a cup of Bailey's, my favorite dessert drink.  I worried that it might be a bit too sweet, but decided, "It's a cake.  Cakes are sweet."  Then I tossed in a bag of mini chocolate chips.

The extra sugar in the cake did present a slight problem.  The cake had a bit of a crust on the outside so it crumbled a bit when I cut it.  If you bake this cake, the only way to test for doneness is to use the toothpick method.  The cake will most decidedly not spring back when you touch it.  Be willing to catch some crumbs when you cut it.

After all the planning, Kevin, who had caught the bug I had last week, realized that there was no way he could handle the long drive and late night for the party.  We ended up not going!  We had the cake to ourselves and I watched Downton Abbey after all.  As for the dinner and the wine? Well, we just ordered Chinese and drank Snapple instead.

Still, I'm happy to share my cake recipe with you.

Bailey's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 sticks of room temperature butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs, whisked to combine
  • 3 cups plus 2 Tbl flour
  • 1/2 tespoon salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 Cup Baileys Irish Cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 bag mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a Bundt pan.

Sift together 3 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.  Toss chocolate chips with remaining flour and set those aside.

In a mixer, cream butter until soft. Stream in the sugar and continue beating on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs just a little (about a tablespoon) at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Mix at medium speed until all eggs are mixed in and mixture is pale and gaining more volume.

Add flour and liqueur alternately, ending with the flour. When it is well mixed, gently stir in vanilla.  Then gently add the chocolate chips (I do it manually).

Pour mixture into pan and bake for 55-65 minutes. Use the toothpick test to test for doneness. When baked cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.

7 comments:

Sue said...

I'm sorry Kevin's sick. That cake looks gorgeous. I also really like the idea of the bourbon!

I'm totally with you about football. There really is nothing duller. Although I'm told the last part of the game WAS really exciting.

We just started watching Downton Abbey over Christmas from the DVD's. It's SO addictive. I didn't know about the contract dispute, but you were brave to write that caption, in case someone wasn't caught up. (I am except for last week's episode.)

My father sent me an email TWELVE minutes after that Sybil episode aired and gave it all away. I was SO mad. I wish I'd had a bundt cake to snack on...

Blond Duck said...

Yum!

Emily said...

I don't watch Downton Abbey... yet. I hear it's SO good! The cake looks amazing. I'm tempted to make it because I have a little bit of Bailey's on hand... but then again I already have cupcakes and brownies. Ugh. Perhaps next week?

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Oh dear! Sory Emily for giving you a major spoiler when you haven't watched Downton, but intend to do so.

Sue - I think Kevin has recovered. Perhaps the cake helped? Perhaps you and I need to get together and organize a Downton party for next year's SB?

Blond Duck said...

I hope you're having a good week! :)

Joyti said...

I've heard of Mad Men 1960's themed parties...why not Downton Abbey themed ones? With old-fashioned food...yum!

The cake looks and sounds amazing!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Believe me I would LOVE to have a Downton Abbey party. I just don't really have enough people in my immediate circle of friends to come to it. Most of my Downton fan friends live far away. :-(